Thursday, June 22, 2006

Battle of the Floor Dwellers




I believe the last time I spoke about Baby A and our cat was in this post. I have also spoke about their relationship here and here.

It has been like any relationship. At first they had to get used to each other. One of them (cat) was pretty nervous and cautious. The other (baby) oblivious. (Sounds like a man doesn't it?) After a while they became more comfortable and even enjoyed each others company. But inevitably they became too comfortable and started getting on each other's nerves. One (cat) was territorial while the other didn't understand the boundaries. “This is my spot on the floor. I always lie here. You can have the rest of the house to yourself but this spot is MINE.” This telepathic message was met with squeals of delight as she closed in on his space.








They are learning to co-exist but the process is slow. There have been some incidents. The cat has put up with plenty of fur removal but there have been times when she has felt his teeth on her skin. She cries and but then gets over it. And goes back for more. I actually feel more sympathy for my cat than I do for her. Although she's young and doesn't fully understand I do give her more credit. She can be gentle and she needs to learn how. I can't be there all the time so if Casey has to defend himself, so be it. I trust him. So far he hasn't crossed the line. He has always been careful when teaching her a lesson. They do love each other, I can tell. They just don't know how to show it. They remind me of elementary school kids with a crush on each other.

As for me I am now dealing with two floor dwellers making messes, knocking things over and getting into trouble. It's twice as exhausting as before. Still I can't help loving them both like crazy. And crazy is what I'll be if I survive these next few months of destruction and chaos.



9 comments:

Dawnyel said...

Awww...so sweet. The relationship between a newly mobile child and a previously adored animal. I don't know if they can EVER really coexist nicely...My parents ended up getting rid of the animal before we could find out. Good luck on your battle! :)

Nicole said...

I love the last picture!!!

Jamie said...

Too cute! Love the picture of them looking out the screen door together, wondering what kind of trouble they can find out there.

bon said...

Mmmm... naw, that's not a cat. That is a small pony! Really, ask LaLa! She'll tell you, PONY.

Mall Worker said...

I just love that last picture! They both look like they're planning an escape!

Anonymous said...

That's not a cat, it's a space station

Ben Kenobi

mamashine said...

That is such an enormous cat! I love it! Looks like very comfy couch snuggling. :)

I love the last picture too.

bon said...

plus look! an avatar...

Do you think this sunflower makes me look fat?

Lynanne said...

I love this series of photos! Especially the first and the last. Our 2 kitties are coexisting peacfully as of now. We'll see what happens when Ella is able to keep up with them. One cat has been through 2 kids before, the other hasn't