Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back to Normal?

Tonight was my first night back to TaeKwon Do. I was so excited. It felt good to put my Do Bok (that's Korean for uniform) and my black belt on again. (But why is my belt shorter?) It also felt strange. Not only because it's been a while but also because since I left to have my baby the location where we train changed as well. The building I trained in for over nine years was torn down. They're building a seniors complex there or something.

Our new Do Jang (that's Korean for training hall) is in the HUGE (sarcasm) downtown area of my city. It is in the upstairs of an old building. My instructor and those that helped him (unfortunately I couldn't as I was busy giving birth or something) worked their booties off, stripping and refinishing the wood floors, drywalling, plumbing etc. It looks pretty amazing. It has a patterned tin ceiling. Kind of like this. I like the new digs, though I'm not used to them yet. The wood floors are a lot easier on the knees but my feet haven't made friends with them yet. I am missing a part of the skin from one of my big toes. Yowee!

Being that this was my first class since having a baby there were a few things that, well, um... didn't go right. One was I forgot to take my sports bra. For me this was serious business. I was wearing a nursing bra. (handy!) Oh and a light (cheap) sports bra over top. Why? To handle the spillage. Oh how I hate boob spillage. Especially when wearing light summer cotton shirts. If I'm not careful you can see all sorts of jiggly lumps and bumps in my booball area. NOT GOOD people. not good. I'm a trooper though and I sure as heck wasn't going home. So what did I do? I had yet another cheap sports bra in my bag which I put on also. So let's count em' I had one, two, three bras on. So when we did sixty jumping jacks (no, I'm not kidding) the girls stayed put right? Right? Um... I wish I could say they behaved. They stayed compact in their three bra prison true, but they uniformly bounced up and down threatening to knock me unconscious before I even had a sparring match. Needless to say I was a little self conscious. One thing I have to thank Baby A for is since having her I'm a lot less self conscious about my body. Except when people ask me if I'm expecting again. Then I feel self conscious once more.

Thing number two that didn't go right, or was bad, or wrong. I have two words. Bladder control. Here are two more. Up and Down. Which is how my body moved a lot during the hour long class. Jumping Jacks. Jumping Kicks. I have been rather proud of myself since having A. Thinking, I don't need no stinking Kegals. Apparently, I do. I'm not saying I gotta break out the Depends or anything. Maybe just a liner for some 'feminine protection'. This also made me feel a little self conscious although I'm pretty sure no one could tell.



I just kept thinking “Wow, my life has really changed.” It never ceases to amaze me how I go back to doing things I did before having a baby thinking nothing will be different, only to discover that everything is. It boggles the mind. I don't think there is anything else left to surprise me anymore. I have now officially done everything I did B.B. Before Baby. From now on everything I do will be done with the mama perspective.


6 comments:

Just MJ said...

Aww that picture with you and Baby A is just soooo sweet. Congrats on going back to TaeKwon Do. I think it's all too easy for moms to focus only on their kids and forget about themselves. So good for you!

beth said...

Oh, something else will surely surprise you. I think it is totally awesome that you do TaeKwon Do.

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad that you got to go back! I know that you really enjoy TaeKwon Do!

Dawnyel said...

I spy the plaid couches! *hee hee* I hate it when the girls don't behave...coming from someone who refuses to run for that very reason. (I swear, I'm sticking to that excuse....they just don't behave!) Way to get back to what you love!

Sugarmama said...

3 bras, and they still didn't stay put? Man, this is so foreign to me. Wish I had me some boobies...

I remember the first time I ran into the bladder control issue post-baby. My first daughter was 2 years old at the time and we were at a friend's house with a trampoline. "What fun!" I thought to myself. "I haven't been on a trampoline in years!" Uh, yeah. Not so much. Fortunately, I was wearing dark, patterned pants so I don't think anyone noticed. But talk about mortifying! The Kegels help some, but I haven't found them to be completely effective myself. Perhaps if I did them more often, like several times a day or something...

bon said...

Ahhh... the old "bladder control" thing! The indignity of it all. Some times, when I am feeling particularly crusty I dream that my husband gets to spend a week in in a post-baby body... I just can't make up my mind which stage of post-baby. The "right after" body that is leaking fluids from every which place, is tired yet wired and aching like a suminah biscuit? Or the "nine months after" body that is still wrecked and sagging, leaking and nagging but now you don't really HAVE A FREAKING EXCUSE!

Pearl and I are fast approaching the nine month mark. Goody.