Monday, June 12, 2006

A Letter

There is an update at 'The Mama D Experiment'

I have never done one of these letters to my daughter before, so bear with me.

Dear A,

You are now officially nine months old. The same number of months that I carried you inside my womb. You were considerably easier to care for during that time (Except for all that vomiting you made me do!) thanks to the efficiency of the human body. It fed you (on time), took care of your waste, was always a nice warm place for a nap as well as having it's own swimming pool. Being born and having me take care of you must have been such a disappointment. This may explain why you were in a pretty bad mood for the first three months of your life. You were in no mood to eat, poop or sleep and since that is pretty much all that babies do that meant you didn't want to do anything. Had you been a little more aware of the world I think you would have found it entertaining to watch me slowly lose my mind with each nearly sleepless night and every challenging day.








Right about the time I was ready to throw in the towel I went back to work. You spent more time with your Dada, your auntie, your cousin and your grandma. I spent time with people my own age and had intelligent conversations. About you. About being a mom and how hard it is. About how cute you are. About how my life will never be the same. Soon after going back to work I began to really appreciate my time with you. I started to realize that you could actually be a lot of fun. I hadn't really noticed what with all the changing of diapers, breastfeeding, laundry, housework, sleep deprivation... Sometimes while I was driving you to your aunties I would feel sad that I had to go to work instead of be with you. On the other hand, you were totally happy to be with auntie and hardly noticed me leave.





I often look at you and can't believe how absolutely lovely you are. Your enormous eyes, long lashes and pronounced eye brows, your perfect full lips, your tiny little nose. Beauty isn't everything but you make my heart swell with pride as your gorgeousness takes my breath away. I happen to think your dad is mighty cute and I know I am not a troll but it is shocking to think that two such ordinary people created such an extraordinary you. We know it is our duty to teach you to be as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside. If we succeed you'll be the nicest person on earth.









Now, nine months into your life I can't believe the journey we've had. We've watched you grow from a tiny helpless and belligerent baby into the beginnings of a little girl. I am trying to imagine how you will look as a five year old without a single tooth since I am finding it hard to believe that you will ever get any. You are smart and funny and stubborn. Most of the time you make us so happy that we could cry. Some of the time you make us so unhappy, we do cry. You are the greatest joy in our lives and we can't imagine how empty we would feel without you. We get up every day just to see your smiling face. We love you, sweet baby.

Your Mama & Dada


7 comments:

Dawnyel said...

SO SWEET! Baby A has a wonderful mama! :)

Mall Worker said...

Happy 9 month birthday Baby A!! Your mommy and daddy wrote you a very sweet letter!

GiBee said...

Oh, D -- she is just breath-takingly gorgeous... do you think she'll mind younger men? 'Cause Hunter will be 9 months on July 5th -- just wondering!

Rachelle said...

She is adorable! They grow up way too fast!

beth said...

Lovely letter. I relate to so much of that, especially remembering those first few months. She's so beautiful, and as I have said before, looks so much like you.

Lynanne said...

Those eyes make my heart melt everytime! She certainly is blossoming. 9 months, wow! I can't wait to see what the next 9 months bring.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Sorry to gibee but my boy (20 months)is pretty darn handsome also and is kind of hard to say no to... she may have a hard time choosing...
You are a wonderful mom. Just keep on loving your wee gal and remember those precious moments and that is all that matters. Sab