Thursday, June 08, 2006

I Spy With My Little Eye

Something I love to do when I get the chance is to spy on my daughter. I love to watch her when she doesn't know I'm looking. I find this to be one of the most entertaining things ever. I used to do this all the time at the door of her bedroom a few months ago when she just started to play with her crib toys. I thought is was the cutest when I'd see her little feet and hands reaching up to make a button squeak or a wheel spin. We have a little aquarium that she used to turn off and on with her foot. She could be happy doing that for days. This is it, only the baby in this picture has teeth. TEETH! You know, those things that my baby is never going to get. She'll be the first toothless Supermodel.



Once she learned how to get up on her hands a knees she began head butting everything. Especially the little green squeaking button on this thing.



She had tiny little bruises on her forehead that matched the design on the button. Peter and I would stand at her door stifling our laughter. It was amazing to watch all the things she was beginning to do. Had it really been that long ago when she would just lay in her crib on her back and not do anything?

Now that Little A has learned to stand I don't often peek in to her room unless I mean to go in. Her eyesight is keen and if she catches site of me she'll expect me to come in. But when I get the chance I do enjoy a bit of spying. Watching as she plays by herself. It is truly a sight to behold.

I don't much care for her new bed and nap time routines which involve her waking immediately after I lay her in her bed, rolling over, standing and crying hysterically. I can't think of many things that would be more fun than being her own personal human bed. Oh wait, yes I can. That would be just about anything. Not that I don't bask in the beauty of my darling baby asleep in my arms, but come on. A mama's got to get stuff done. Like dishes. Laundry. Or sleeping! Especially the sleeping, which is pertinent to a happy mama the following day. So, no baby, I do not enjoy letting you sleep on me the rest of the night when you wake up at 2:45am. Almost as much as I don't enjoy getting up at that ridiculous hour. So I apologize for your unhappiness about this. Life is hard. I teaching you early. Some day, you'll thank me. I promise.

This current sleepy time unpleasantness is slightly relieved if I am able to spend some quite time standing at the door to her room watching Baby T.V.


6 comments:

beth said...

I love watching Sam when he doesn't know I'm there too. He gets so serious about what he is working on rather than checking in with me for a reaction or applause. It's amazing how they can focus on a task so early on. I hear ya on the sleep. I think Sam is getting worse again...

Mall Worker said...

I just love wathing Boo play! It doesn't seem to phase him if he knows or not. He gets more into it when he knows I'm watching and every now and then he'll turn around and crack a huge grin at me!

I hope her sleep patterns normalize soon!

Gina said...

I love this post! I am the same way. It makes you want to freeze time when you see them learning and soaking in each and ever object they get their tiny hands on! Babies are marvels.

Nicole said...

So funny! Eli has the fisher price aquarium in his crib and he often hits it on and off with his head too, but no bruises in teh shape of a seashell yet :)

Dawnyel said...

Head-butting?? Man, I love this post! I think all mommies love to spy on their kids when they don't know we're around....it shows us the true characters of our children! :)

Lynanne said...

I love this post also. Those moments are so precious. My second favorite is listening in on the baby monitor when the child starts talking. The things they say while playing are often hilarious. Especially when they "parent" their stuffed toys.