Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Getting Back on the Horse...and man, does it hurt!

This is the week I started getting back to the gym. And also to TaeKwon Do. It's not as if I've been sitting around on my butt all the time or anything. If it's nice out, we go for a walk. And I do work 16 hours a week. While I'm at work I am constantly on my feet (except when I eat my lunch/supper and pump) or scurrying around mixing colors and such. But it's not the same. I get no satisfaction from leisurely walks or busy days. I need to get my sweat on. I need to make my instructor think “Wow! That girl is really working hard!” It's sick, I know. I think it stems from my childhood. My parents rarely told me that they thought I was doing well, working hard or that they were proud of me. They were I guess, they were just too busy (getting drunk) to say it. (That was a bit mean. I'm kind of sorry.) Anyway, now as an adult I crave positive feedback about everything I do. I go above and beyond to try to impress people. Even if I can't walk the next day.

Such was the case On Monday night. Baseball night. Yes, I went back. I'm no quitter. I may hate it but I'll soldier on. Actually, last night was a lot more fun. We played an actual game. We were short players which made it more challenging. I say bring it! This other team were very good. They like, knew what they were doing or something. One girl actually slid! Can you believe it? What did she think this was MLB? I played 2nd base. It was action packed and I did my best. Apparently it is one of the more difficult bases to play. So let's put the girl with no ball experience there. *shakes head* I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I hate not being good at something. (See above paragraph) I persevered, I learned and next week I'll be better. I got up to bat three times and got on base twice. I even got home once. Someone told me I needed to run faster. I swallowed my pride and the urge to say something in my defense. I am the youngest and probably the fastest runner on the team. Not the best ball player, not by a long shot. But I can run. If they had said I needed to catch better, bat better, understand what the heck I was doing better, I would not have questioned it. But I nodded and said “Okay.”

I definitely need to practice my catching. Last week I bruised my left hand catching with the ball of my hand instead of in the glove. Last night I bruised my right thumb trying to make a catch when I could have got someone out. Strangely enough the fact that I hurt myself a little both times I played gives me more respect for the game. If you can get hurt playing it, it must be worth playing. My desire to be a better ball player is driving me. I actually had fun last night. I want to be an asset to my team. Not an ass on the team.

I did a step aerobics class Monday and a cycle fit class yesterday. Neither were the hardest of classes which was actually perfect since I haven't been in a while. Little A had a blast in the kids room with older kids buzzing around yesterday and today a little guy from our La Leche League group was there. That made me feel a lot better about leaving to go work out. I have to say that between aerobics, baseball and cycle fit I am one hurting unit right now. Stretching my chin down to my chest feels like heaven. I just have to get through my TaeKwon Do class (without getting kicked in the head) and then I'll take a break until Friday.

Peter was wishing he'd brought the camera to ball. I borrowed a baseball hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. I asked him if he'd ever seen me wear a ball cap before. He said “Never” and had the most peculiar look on his face as he observed my new fashion statement. The really weird part is, I think he liked it!

3 comments:

Dawnyel said...

I really respect you right now! I guess I'm a HUGE baby when it comes to pain. If I get hurt doing something, then I've come up with my excuse NOT to do it again. I'm impressed! :)

Mall Worker said...

My hats off to you! I couldn't ever play baseball once, let alone go back for more!

Sugarmama said...

I'm so jealous! I was never much of a ball player in PE as a kid, but I'll bet it would be fun now. Much less pressure if you're not a pre-teen, I would imagine...