Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Winner You Say?

Congratulations to Beth from Total Mom Haircut for correctly identifying this weeks Say WHAT? quote. This is her second win. It couldn't have happened to a nicer person. If you have never checked her out read this post. Her writing is superb and her sense of humor is brilliant.



The Legend of Billy Jean was yet another 80's movie with a profound effect on me. There were plenty of similarites between Helen Slater's character and myself.

1. We both lived in a trailer.
2. We were both nice and honest people.
3. We both have a brother.

This is where we differed...



Who the heck ever looked like that? But I can be thankful because if you've seen the movie you know what a whole lotta trouble looking like that can get you into. People wreck your brother's scooter, old men try to fondle you and then you become a fugitive on the run. Whew! I'm so glad I never looked like her.

But what I really loved was when she cut all her hair off and got tough! Big surprise, I know. Me. Liking a tough girl. It's a theme.



Here's a little tidbit of information: Yeardley Smith, better known as Lisa Simpson is in this movie. If you have never seen this movie before and watch it now you'll be thinking 'Putter' should be yellow with spikey hair and a red dress.




And then there is Keith Gordon, Helen Slater's love interest in the film. I loved him. His name was Lloyd and he was almost as cute as Lloyd Dobler but not quite. I discovered from looking him up on IMDB that the only other well known-ish movies he was in were Christine and 'Back to School' with Rodney Dangerfield. (shudder!) So sad. He should have been a star... I can't believe he looks like this now! No, it's not a joke. That's really him.



Oh yeah, and it was one of Christian Slaters first films. (He is not actually Helen Slater's brother. His real name is Christian Michael Leonard Hawkins.) He was a really unlikeable character in this one. Ulike the likeable characters he played in this movie and this movie.

I actually don't own this movie. It seems to be nearly impossible to acquire. Doing this internet based research (Trademark) I found copies to purchase but unfornately only on VHS format. If any of you love me let me know if you ever find it on DVD. And buy it for me. I'll totally pay you back. Anyway, find it, rent it, watch it, love it. You know you want to.

P.S. Prayers would be appreciated since tomorrow I will be taking my mom for her knee replacement surgery. Thanks.

5 comments:

Sugarmama said...

I feel like I watched my share of '80's movies, but I suck so much at remembering quotes. I'll never win. Sigh.

Sugarmama said...

Oh, and forgive my poor manners. I hope your mom's surgery goes very well tomorrow. I'm sure it will.

Mall Worker said...

My thoughts are with you and your mother! I hope her sugery goes well and everything is fine!

beth said...

Eeek! It's a big me again. D, you are too good to me with all your nice talkin' (except for posting big pics of me, of course - maybe it's time to change my profile picture...)

I too LOVED Lloyd and am horrified by what he has become. Is that a picture of him in costume for another movie or something? And, the Slaters aren't bro and sis? I wonder how many times I've stated that as fact in my life.

I hope the surgery goes well and she has a speedy recovery.

And you won again you little stinker. That's the second time weve won eachothers on the same week!

bon said...

piffle....that is, Congrats to Beth! The question is... am I a sore loser or just a sore-head?