Monday, June 26, 2006

Surgery Update #1






As I mentioned earlier when I came home this morning after taking mom to the hospital it was exactly as I'd left it. Quiet. I was pleased. The world had not crashed in while I was absent, it had merely been on pause. Then I was responsible for kicking it into motion again. Gently waking Peter and suggesting he go take his morning shower, pouring coffee, making toast, feeding the baby. While feeding Miss A her cereal I had my tea and cranberry/raisin toast.

Next we ventured out to get a gift for Grandma. She mentioned this morning when I took her to the hospital that she had looked for some Capri pajama bottoms but hadn't found any. We found two pairs for her. One pair is purple with dragonflies on them and the other are green, brown and white vertical stripes. She's going to be the most stylist 'mature' lady in physiotherapy! We picked up the flowers I had ordered (although she said not to bother. Baby A insisted!) and headed to the hospital. One of my sisters was already there. Mom was laying in bed, asleep. She woke when we came in the room. She was very drowsy. She said she was feeling okay. To be honest I don't think she knows how she feels since she's still on a lot of medication and was still waking up from the anesthesia. She did seem happy to see Baby A. A seemed perplexed to see her Grandma just laying in bed that way, looking sleepy. Quite a change from the Grandma who is usually stuffing much food into her face as she is worried that her Mama couldn't possibly be feeding her enough solid food and couldn't possibly have very much milk left after nine months. The motivation that her granddaughter may starve if she doesn't get back on her feet again soon is likely a good thing.

I will likely be heading back again when Miss A wakes up from her nap as well as this evening. I guess I'll HAVE to miss baseball. Shucks. What will they do without their star player? Yuk yuk yuk.

5 comments:

this single spark said...

Just wanted to tell you (thought of this after I ran into you this morning) that it has been my experience that on the day of surgery, people usually seem how you'd expect... drugged and out of it. On day two, they often seem really bad. Not sure why... drugs wearing off? So if your mom seems like she isn't doing well tomorrow, don't be too alarmed (if you can help it!). Wait until day 3 before you start to worry, and she will likely be perking up by then.

Sugarmama said...

Funny about your mom's motivation for getting better. And yes, what single spark said is my experience as well. Surgery is tough on a body, and people do tend to feel really crappy after the first day or two. Hope she's doing o.k.

bon said...

Continuing to think happy thoughts!

Lynanne said...

I’ll echo the other two comments… A person is usually in a bit of a haze the first day after surgery, whether its drugs or stress hormones/adrenaline. Just about the time you think "This hurts like heck but I can handle it" is when it gets worse. It can be very discouraging but things do get batter late on day 3 or so. Best of luck to your mom! I was so relieved to hear she made it through surgery ok. Now, we’ll focus on wishing for a speedy recovery!!! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Dawnyel said...

I'm not only thinking good thoughts for your mom, but for you as well...it's hard to have a parent in the hospital! Hope all goes well!