Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Garden - A Tour...

I'm going to post something happy about my garden but first I must put this out there.

*its the eye of the tiger,
Its the thrill of the fight,
Rising up to the challenge of our rival,
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night,
And he's watching us all
With the eye of the tiger.*

To clarify - Baby A has the eye of the tiger, it gives her a thrill to fight nap time, I am her rival, she is the survivor and stalks 'her' prey (me) in the night. 'She's' watching us (Mama & Papa D) with the eye of the tiger.

After much protest, as per usual, she finally fell asleep. Sadly I must wake her in an hour and a half to take her to my sisters while I go to work. What she really needs is a three hour nappy. I was having a stress reaction of laughing when she was making this awful screeching/crying noise from her crib. It was the oddest sensation. What I wanted to do was cry. Because it was hurting my ears and my heart. Instead I laughed... Weird. I have tried various methods of getting her to sleep but there comes a point when putting her in bed and leaving her there is the only method that works. Let me say I do not enjoy this new phase.

And now on to brighter and happier things! Thanks to great advice and help from This Single Spark my garden is in! I invested in several perennials and a few annuals. Also two shrubs. (Peter was reluctant about these, imagining them taking over our yard and house like some kind of evil thing. After much coaxing and promises of keeping them pruned back, he agreed.)

When we bought this house, the yard was an over grown disaster. There were perennials but they were running wild, overgrown with weeds and very neglected. Had I been a more experienced gardener I may have been able to salvage more of them. What seemed easier was to do a clean sweep. When we did we found pipes, glass, shells and rocks. Oh the rocks. Last year one of the ones we had missed relocating to our rock collection got run over by the lawn mower. It was pitched through the first pane of glass in our basement window. Ouch. As you can see in the following picture it's fixed now. Oh, I nearly forgot. There was also a kitchen sink in the back yard. No, I'm not kidding. Perhaps it was meant to be a pond? Or maybe a bird bath.




Though we pretty much dug everything out I kept this little corner by the stairs. Iris's and a Peony. And something else I can't remember the name of that looks like rhubarb. As I think you will notice I am a color Nazi. I plant red, yellow, orange, green or white. No girly colors allowed. No pink, or purple. My reasoning is simply because I don't think those colors go with my tan house. And I like those other colors best anyway. Unfortunately the peony has pink flowers and the iris's are white with purple. Why do they get to stay? They are well established and if my attempts to fill my garden with colors I like fail then at least they still look good.




Here are pictures of my Hosta post hail. Thought I'd stick my finger through it for dramatic effect.







Now I'd like to introduce you to my shrubs. (A SHRUBBERY!!!!)

Rose Glow Barberry - Isn't it lovely. I wanted a red one and this is the one I chose. It makes me happy when I look at it!




Annabelle Hydrangea – Pleased to meet you, I'm sure. Will one day have gorgeous white puffs of flowers... Yeeeaaaay!!!



This is called Yarrow and it's red, though the sun is shining brightly and it almost looks pink. See color Nazi portion of my post.



My narrow little portion of garden by the house. A Marigold, Day Lily and Silver Mound (the pet of the garden).



And lastly my Creeping Jenny. I have been warned of her evil spreading ability. Since this is what I want her to do, I'm cheering for her. She can't get into any trouble between the house and the sidewalk.








How did you enjoy your tour? Please sign the guest book.

P.S. Sorry you have 'Eye of the Tiger' in your head now.

9 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Your garden looks Fantastic! It looks really nice with your house!

this single spark said...

It was so much fun helping you! Your garden is very sweet. By next summer, when things start to fill in a bit, it will be gorgeious. Glad you were able to get Papa to come around to the shrubs.

this single spark said...

Uh... that's gorgeous and glorious?

Tasha said...

That song IS in my head now, Thats exactly what I was going to say before I got to the bottom. Too funny! Your garden is beautiful, nice job

beth said...

Oh, that's so nice! And I like the pic of you guys at the end. And yes I do, I do have Tiger in my head now. But that's a good thing. Makes me feel sort of empowered.

I am looking forward to your game tomorrow! I love that idea, much better than a name that tune with no music! But I'm glad because this way I get to actually play - that really is the drawback of hosting the game. Keep your fingers crossed for me to still have this sporadic internet connection tomorrow, because I plan to win baby!

Dawnyel said...

Love the garden, and SOOOO jealous that you have one and I don't! Flowers always make me smile....so your post made me smile! :)

bon said...

Yayayayayayayyyy!

and don't worry about the peony OR the irisss's's... they do the bulk of their blooming in the spring when you will be thrilled for ANYTHING no matter the color! Also? Buddy up to folks who have alternate colors of Iris's'ss's... one must always be splitting up one's iris's's because when they get too densely packed in, they don't bloom so well, and to you that means FREE IRIS in the happy alternate colors. Plus you may need to thin out YOURS and voila! color swap (another good reason to buddy-buddy other iris's's owners... they'll show ya how).

and your yarrow!... La! The stuff that grows around here the best comes in yellow and white...love that RED! and now I'm gonna tell you a secret, shhhhhhhh Miracle Grow. Yup that stuff that you can buy everywhere (at least ya can here) it makes your flowers bloom all psycho, and grow and stuff.

Sheez, whaddah knowitall! and by the by? The previous is exactly everything that I know about gardening.

GiBee said...

Your garden looks so clean and weed free. I'd hate to show you mine! And baby A is getting big!!! Adorable!

QueenMeadow said...

Looks fabulous!!

And I just listened to Eye of the Tiger on my iPod, tee hee.