Friday, June 02, 2006

We Have A Winner!

Congratulations to Queen Beth from Her Majesty's Throne who knew what film this weeks Say WHAT? quote was from. She also knew the name of the character quoted as well as the actress's name. Show off! (Just kidding!)



This is a quote from one of my all time favorite movies – Some Kind of Wonderful.



I am not sure how old I was when I first saw it. Perhaps ten or eleven. It was very likely a tad grown up for me at the time. Yet it would still have been one of the tamer of things that I was exposed to at a very young age. All I know is that I fell in love with it. I wanted to be Watts. I already had the tomboy part down all I had to do was learn how to play drums. Keith Nelson was my dream boyfriend until Lloyd Dobler came along. (and he shall forever be in my heart.) The kissing scene in this movie still makes me get all tingly. That feeling of kissing someone that you are absolutely dying to kiss. I love the way her eyes twitch when their lips first touch. And the music in that scene, though it is now dated, is perfect. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it. I have probably watched it at least once a year since I first saw it so... math is not my strong suit... that would be approximately...twenty times. And I know that's low. Between the ages of 15 and 24 I must have watched it at least three times in one year. I have forced every friend I've ever had to watch it with me. Even my male friends. (I love you guys!) I think my three older nieces have also watched it with me. And my husband. My poor husband. He has suffered through it many times as well. He watched a lot of movies with me when we were first dating that he probably had little desire to watch. Now that we've been together so long it is difficult to persuade him to watch my favorites yet again. My power over him is waning...

I recently purchased a DVD copy and have retired my tired old VHS version. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend you go out and rent it. I am surprised that I still love it so much after all these years. I can't help myself. I am a sucker for a good love story. Especially a John Hughes love story. I can identify with being friends with a guy that you love (or think you love). That happened to me several times when I was younger. It is a cruel way to live and unlike the movie those friendships of mine never ended in romance like in this movie. But I've had my happy ending and am starting with a new beginning!

3 comments:

beth said...

You're right! That kissing scene is one of the best things on film to date.

Diana Mancuso said...

Man, I need to brush up on my 80's movie trivia...

Anonymous said...

YAY ME!!! How cool! This is the first blog game I've won! Yipeee!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie. It's one of my all time favorites. I have watched it a million times! Which makes it totally absurd that I blanked out when I was trying to remember her name.

Thanks! Fun game!!