Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bloomorama!

Peter and I have been working very hard to beautify our yard. When we moved to this house the yard had been sadly neglected. I mentioned this a little here. Our first summer was spent getting rid of five volunteer trees that had grown up big and tall. Where the trees weren't growing perrenials and weeds were running amuck. Peter's first impression of the house was negative because of the yard. Thankfully we bought it anyway and after nearly three years, it's coming along. The back yard only has about 4 more trees to lose. We actually have a lawn back there now. And the big development is that our friend came over Saturday and cut down the two HUGE cedars in the front of our house. Here is a photo of them (sort of) in the spring.



You can imagine how huge they must be since they are hardly in the shot. They were like, twice the height, at least, of our house. When they were planted they likely meant for them to be the kind of cedars that grow a maximum height of like 8 feet or something. That wouldn't have been so bad. We were concerned about them being so close to the house (roots, etc.) and were sick of cleaning up the mess they created in the eavestroughs and flower garden. So anyway, as of today they are gone, gone, GONE! And here is the proof.





Is it ever weird that they are gone! So much more light comes in the front door now. It will take some getting used to and I told Peter I am going to make him put up Christmas lights this year now that the trees aren't in the way.

And to end this post on a happy note. Here are some pictures of the flowers in my garden going mental. Hurray!





5 comments:

bon said...

Oh, I SO approve! And I rarely approve of cutting down trees.... the difference is just so striking. You have taken the focus off of the two overgrown and out of proportion trees and put it onto the cuteness of the house itself. The flowers are darling! Is'nt it just such a rush to see them do their thing and feel like their helper?

I just wish I could come over and hang-out and help. Really... I would be a big help, and you would LIKE me, too!

utmommy said...

We've been trying to beautify our yard as well. It sure is a lot of work. Your flowers are beautiful. I can't wait until I get some!!

Diana Mancuso said...

It's looking mahvelous dahling, absolutely mahvelous!

Dawnyel said...

Cute! Fixing things up yourselves is a BIG undertaking! I'm impressed!!

Mall Worker said...

Looks fantastic! I really love how much better the front looks with out the ceaders!