Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hello Old/New Friend


Remember this post? If not, you should read it. Because every single word I write is incredibly important you know. Baby A has begun to notice things like never before. Toys, television, people, and our cat. She also has acute hearing. This can be rather interesting when I am trying to feed her and there is some noise, such as a pin dropping next door. She suddenly turns her head almost taking my nipple along for the ride. (Score one point for floppy, stretchy boobs!) (I am so going to get a Google seach for 'Floppy, stretchy boobs'. sigh.)

It is the coolest thing to watch her notice our cat. When she sees him she makes soft high pitched squealy noises and reaches her hands out to him. I have been showing her how to pet him. "Nice kitty, nice kitty." and we pet him softly. She always ends up getting excited and grabbing a handful of fur. If I did that, he would bite my arm off. Her? He looks at her with his eyes half closed in that sleepy cat way and walks away leaving a tiny handful of fur behind. Little A is of course, oblivious. She's just so happy that she got to see him and touch his very soft fur.

I really hope that as she grows and crawls and chases him around that he remains as patient. I worry that they won't be friends anymore that he'll just hide under his chair. I wouldn't blame him. He's like a hundred years old or something, in cat years. I would really like him to live long enough for her to remember him, that he was our cat and we loved him.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Cam loves to play with our dog. He's learning to be gentle. He's trying so hard to say Tai Beaux's name. He loves to pet the dog and see the dog. Tai loves him too. Today Tai tried to peek in the crib when Cam woke up. They were excited to see each other.

bon said...

My sister has a cat that actually SEEKS out the abuse of small children. He just lays there as they pull out handsful of fur and yank on his tail. The old guy is a screwball!

Lei said...

My 17 mo. old has developped a love for all animals because of our cat! Of course, he also still calls all animals "titty", too! Lol!

Dawnyel said...

I love your story about your old cat. My parents had an old dog when my son was a baby. He too has that ornery streak that they get when they grow old and tired...but he was a lot like your cat, patient and "understanding." As long as they're friends now, I don't think there is any fear that they won't continue! Good luck!