Friday, March 31, 2006

Butterfly Girl



This is my daughters window. She looks up at these curtains every morning. I've walked into her room many times to find her smiling and cooing at them. I remember the day my mom and I looked for the fabric to use for these curtains and the quilt for her crib. I was immediately drawn to this green and white gingham with butterflies on it. I didn't know that I was having a girl and contemplated whether or not it would be too girlie if I had a boy. I couldn't find anything I liked better so that is what we went with. It seems perfect now. I love her room and wouldn't change a thing. I know there will come a day when she wants to change her room and make it her own. I will gladly help her but I will be sad to see that green paint go.



I often think of my pregnancy. Though getting ready for a baby was stressful, it was also very special. I loved planning her room. The color of the walls, the furniture, the curtains and bedding. I loved stocking up on little face cloths and baby shampoos and lotions. I am always one to mourn times gone by that I can never get back and I am always left wondering if I fully appreciated them. I know I didn't appreciate my first four months when my head was constantly in a bucket. I also know that with our next baby it will be so different. We will be so busy and just won't prepare the same way. I feel a little guilty about it already.

I guess we just have to try to enjoy every stage of our lives as much as we can regardless of what is happening around us. I know that I am terrible at this and hope that I can change. I hate feeling like I have missed out on special moments of my life because I was too worried, depressed or preoccupied to pay attention. My new goal is to work towards living in the moment instead of obsessing over the past (good or bad) or the future. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll stop writing about it.




8 comments:

owlhaven said...

Pretty curtains! Spoken from a gal with a tummy virus, I'd say it's utterly impossible to enjoy your self with your head over a bucket..Give yourself a break! I know you're enjoying your daughter tremendously now and that is what's important.
Hugs
Mary

owlhaven said...

I infected you! Check out my page

Mary

bon said...

eee... she looks like such a "big girl" now! I know what you mean, and sometimes I worry that I'm not paying close enough attention to all the new stuff and changes since we have three now. The truth is, life comes at ya fast and we savor it as we can. Well, I try anyhow.

Heh! my word verification is a sound we hear alot in the House of Chaos... followed by wailing.

OEEWAP!

Jenn said...

Mama D-corate,
Those are great curtains! My son used to stare at some dried flowers I had on my headboard and I would say, "FLOWER!"

He said "FLOWER" at four months old!!

this single spark said...

Nothing to do with this post, but just wanted to point you to a CBC article about Autism:

"A U.S. health panel found no link in 2004 between vaccines using therimerosal and autism; the preservative is no longer used in vaccines." http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/04/03/autism-children-rate-20060403.html

Not trying to influence yo0u vaccination decision (I know you are making the best choices for your family), but wasn't sure if you knew that therimerosal wasn't being used anymore.

Rachelle said...

Oh I am so that way with obsessing about the future. I forget to enjoy the here and now. Or I mourn Cam growing up so fast, so I miss the now moments. I am working on that myself - not worrying about the future or mourning the past, but living for now. I am also jealous you can have curtains up. We have to have blackout curtains up or Camden wakes at every light.

Lei said...

It goes fast and onyl gets faster. Sigh.

Diana Mancuso said...

Now that is something I have to do, decorate the nursery. We just moved a couple of months ago so I missed out on the decorating. Now I just keep procrastinating.

Good luck with your goal. Carpe Diem!