Friday, March 24, 2006

Self Improvements

After the post baby trauma subsided a bit I began to notice myself again. I did not like what I saw. There was/is the baby belly, which is to be expected. The stretch marks. May I just take this moment to say that hardly anyone I know got stretch marks while pregnant. But when I think about it I guess it's one of those things where I say “I have a lot of stretch marks!” to which I get “Oh, I never got ANY!” (which, by the way, ranks right up there with my favorite comments. Such as “Oh, I didn't have any morning sickness at all. To that I say “How nice for you.”) but the moms who do have them don't jump to say “Oh I know, I have them too!”. I always forget I seem to be the one of the few people who voluntarily talks openly about my flaws. (What's wrong with me anyway?) And then there was the hair loss. Man! The hair loss! Good thing I started out with far too much hair because it had even me, the woman with too much hair, worried that I was going to be bald. Thankfully that has now stopped. Here's a weird one. My teeth. They seemed discolored. I had a few of my clients tell me horror stories about how they lost teeth during their pregnancies. That's just nutty. No lost teeth here. I just found them to be a bit yellow. Maybe I'm crazy but I kept seeing pictures of myself with my big ol' smile and I thought “Hmmm. My teeth look really yellow.” After many times of saying that about different photos I finally bought this. I took before and after photos but the before one somehow disappeared from my computer. So that blows my comparison out the window. I'll try it again in a few weeks.

So, I took care of the teeth thing. Or at least I took care of it in a way that I could afford. Going off in another direction, since when did celebrities have to have such white teeth? I own a lot of 80's movies and let me tell you it is weird yet refreshing to observe their less than perfect bodies and normal looking teeth. The baby belly is retreating with every bi-weekly trip to the gym. I'm not sure it will ever be jiggle free. The stretch marks? Well, nothing to be done about them except wait and watch them slowly fade from pink to white. The hair. The good news is I'm not bald. I'm actually enjoying this thinner hair I have. It is almost behaving like I always wanted it to. At it's present length I can wear it wavy or straight. I'm curious what all of you prefer. Let me know what you think. Also, as you can see my hair has gotten longer and I have colored it darker since Baby A was born. Wow! I was just looking at my pictures. Could I be any more pale? Not sure why I appear to have so much color in the first one. I progressively get pastier with each photo. The first shot was taken in September when I still had some 'sun'. Ha ha! My poor daughter has the skin color genetics of two of the palest people on the planet. My teeth seem whiter with every shot too. How strange. Perhaps as the pregnancy hormones dissapate the discoloration goes away?







I don't have the highest self esteem but I do what I can with what I have. My husband loves me and thinks I am beautiful. The funny thing is I actually believe him when he says it. Now that's love.

P.S. I know I'm evil for cropping "the show stealer" Baby A out of my pictures. Really, would you really pay any attention to me if she was in the picture? It's all about me you know.

10 comments:

Sugarmama said...

I'm feeling mighty pasty myself lately. I know the sun is supposed to be bad for you, but I for one can't wait to bask in it at my earliest opportunity! Winter weather always puts me in an appearance funk.

Anonymous said...

I really like it straight!! :)

Mama D said...

Thanks Kelli. So do I! My mom hates it though. Then again she makes me perm her hair...

this single spark said...

Three things... One: I didn't notice your teeth in person, but I see what you mean in the pictures. Weird. I have a friend who is on dialysis and his teeth have turned very yellow. Maybe when your body goes through stress...??

Two: It's March. You live in Canada. Therefore, you will be paler than you were in September. No big deal... spring is almost here. Hallelujah!

Three: Don't ever judge yourself against celebrities!!! Ever. That's an order. They have "people" looking after them and touching up their photos, and they still aren't happy with their looks. Quote from Simone De Beauvoir "To lose confidence in one's body is to lose confidence in oneself." Listen to your body, keep it healthy, and love it... it will love you back.

Okay, one more thing. Peter is right. That's the reason you feel beautiful when he says it.

Dawnyel said...

LOL!! Thanks for the giggle. Pasty must be in!! I'm that way too, but even in the summer, so you're lucky there! I don't think you should feel bad about cutting Baby A out of your pics...you're right...this one is about you!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking your hair was nice last time I saw you, ( a while ago...) and it was quite wavy and dark. It looked soft and easy to do. No matter how your hair is it always looks great! I have stretch marks too sweetie! And some are quite deep and awful but hey, I got 2 beautiful kids from them, so they aint so bad really! I want my tan back too. It is already gone after only 6 weeks! I always feel thinner when i have "some sun".
Sabrina

bon said...

I like both... but I like variety see? And yup, beauty is as beauty does and you got it !

Diana Mancuso said...

I have stretch marks too! And my jelly belly? I've become one with it...

Just MJ said...

My vote is for the second picture.

I too have noticed that celebrities teeth have become blindingly white. I agree it is comforting to see "normal" looking teeth and regular bodies.

Stretch marks! I escaped having them until my third pregnancy. Now my lower belly is so loose it actually jiggles when I unzip my pants. That is not a sight I really want to share.

GiBee said...

Oh, you ARE beautiful... and you live in Canada, too? Beautiful AND lucky!!!I love the lighter colored hair on you... with highlights. Straight is nice too.

As for everything else you said? Yeah... ME TOO. I have mushy belly problems, with LOTS OF STRETCH MARKS (there you have it! A confession). AND... my hair fell out in droves, AND... I got several CAVITIES while I was pregnant, which I STILL haven't gotten fixed, because I'm terrified of the Dentist and my son is turning 6 months old in 9 days. So there you have it.

Confessions from a semi-hysterical mom about to PULL her remaining hair out because her child is teething and has turned into a screaming, FIT THROWING, back arching, "mommy my gums hurt so much I can't handle it" child.