Friday, January 06, 2006

Are You Suffering From Premature Hairloss?


This was my daughter at around 2 weeks old. Notice the hair. All that hair. I don't know about anyone else but when I was pregnant with her I didn't want to admit to having any preferences about the sex of my baby. When asked “What would you like to have?” or “Do you think you are having a boy or a girl.” I replied “Oh, it doesn't matter. We would just like to have a healthy baby.” Which wasn't a lie. But about a month before I had her when my mom and I were in the privacy of her car I blurted out “I hope I have a girl with lots of black hair!”

Imagine my pleasure when baby A arrived and with so much lovely dark hair. I was in heaven. What could be better for a hairstylist? A girl. With so much hair. And everyone who saw her would say "Wow! She has so much hair!" I would nod and smile proudly. I imagined the cute pig tails and braids I'd give her. I didn't have much else to be happy about. I was happy she was here but why oh why wouldn't she eat? That's another story. Which I think I have already talked about in an earlier post.

Anyway, the hair. Shall we talk about my hair? I have a good amount of it. I have been known to say I have too much. It's wavy, not curly. Sometimes I straighten it. It's generally uncooperative. But, I like my hair for the most part. I don't want it to get any ideas like my house did and start falling out. Oh wait! It is falling out. In handfuls. Now, I've heard the story about how your hair gets thicker during pregnancy (I hadn't noticed if mine did.) and then that extra hair you gained, you then begin to lose. Hey, I've told that story! Reassured many a new mom that she wasn't going bald, the hair loss would stop, not to worry. What the heck did I know?? Really, what a moron I was. I had never experienced it. Until now. It is my punishment. Because I am going to go bald. (Love that bold tool!)

Peter thought I was exaggerating but when I stuck my hair covered hand out of the shower and exclaimed “Take a picture of this!” he began to get the picture. I also notice he cleaned out the hair trap in the shower which he thinks is disgusting. I meant to do it and then noticed later in the day that he must have done it himself. I guess he didn't want to shower with the small animal lurking in the hair trap by his toes.

Enough about me and my soon to be baldness. What is even more horrific is that my sweet Miss A has also nearly lost all of her gorgeous hair.

Everyone told me she would lose it to which I declared "No she won't!" But again I have been proven a liar. Now everyone says "Wow! She sure has lost a lot of her hair!" I nod and frown and feel like telling them to shut up. I could cry. She looks like an elderly man with lots of hair around the sides and back but only a sad few long straggly hairs on top. My dreams of little pig tails are gone for now. I choose to dream of the day when the new growth begins to sprout!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just about to go have a shower (UG) and thought I'd pop an empathy note to you first (found yuor blog through Very Mom comments just now).
Your hand, looks like my hand.
Every day.

Baby is 3 months. All the nice thick hair I was enjoying during pregnancy? GONE.

Personally I am debating a "short" style so at least the hair that's falling out by the handful isn't clogging the drain. As bad.

UG.
I feel your pain!