Sunday, January 22, 2006

Damned if I Do and Damned if I Don't

First I'd like to say thank you to all the people who commented and gave me their opinions regarding vaccinations. Although all of the people who commented were in favor of them. Guess what? I've decided not to get them done tomorrow. Please don't think I'm ungrateful. I wanted to get opinions because since before I even gave birth to Little A I had my concerns about vaccinations. Let me give you our background.

Several years ago our nephew (on my husbands side) was diagnosed with Autism. This was before Peter and I were even married. Before he was diagnosed we watched his brother and wife go through the agonizing journey of trying to determine what exactly was the matter. Then after the diagnosis trying to deal with what exactly it meant and how to move forward from there. During the process of looking for reasons why their son had autism my sister-in-law found some information regarding the link between Autism and vaccinations. I would have never known about this had it not been for her. Now, years down the road we have our own child and are faced with this difficult decision. Should we vaccinate?

I did what any parent would do. I read. And read. And ask questions. And read. Of course some of you may say I didn't read enough, or didn't read the right books or articles. This could be true. I tried to read non-biased information. I talked to my sister-in-law. She told me that their second son had all his vaccinations except for the MMR at 12 months. Based on this information I took Audrey for her two month shots. I gave her the Tylenol a half hour before as instructed. Later that day after having the shots she was feverish (which I know is normal) and didn't eat well for almost a week. I felt terrible. I called my friends with kids and asked them if this was normal. They said I shouldn't be concerned. I felt sick. During the following week any behavior that was different than before the needle made me paranoid. I was convinced a genetic switch had been triggered and she would never be the same again. Eventually, she seemed to be back to 'normal' again. I was relieved and vowed not to get her next needles done. But during the past two months I began to change my mind again. Maybe I had over reacted. Maybe I was wrong.

Here are some things I have read that caused me to worry in the first place.

Thimerosal is a preservative. While the use of mercury-containing preservatives has declined in recent years with the development of new products formulated with alternative or no preservatives, thimerosal is still used in certain antivenins, skin test antigens, and ophthalmic and nasal products, in addition to certain vaccines recommended for adults or older children.


As a precautionary measure, the Public Health Service (including the FDA, National Institutes of Health [NIH], Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and Health Resources and Services Administration [HRSA]) and the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a Joint Statement, urging vaccine manufacturers to reduce or eliminate thimerosal in vaccines as soon as possible.


In its report of October 1, 2001, the IOM's Immunization Safety Review Committee concluded that the evidence is inadequate to either accept or reject a causal relationship between thimerosal exposure from childhood vaccines and the neurodevelopmental disorders of autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and speech or language delay. Thus, while the available scientific data do not establish that these neurodevelopmental disorders are caused by thimerosal, at the same time, they do not establish that these neurodevelopmental disorders are not caused by thimerosal.

However, in these studies a minority of children appear to develop normally and then suddenly manifest all the signs and symptoms of autism, leading to the diagnosis of "regressive" autism. These children may have a genetic predisposition to autism that requires an environmental stimulus to trigger. The environmental agents that may trigger regression are not known.

The FDA is encouraging the reduction or removal of thimerosal from all existing vaccines. Much progress has been made to date. The FDA has been actively working with manufacturers, particularly those that manufacture childhood vaccines, to reach the goal of eliminating thimerosal from vaccines, and has been collaborating with other PHS agencies to further evaluate the potential health effects of thimerosal. In this regard, all of the routinely recommended pediatric vaccines are now manufactured as either thimerosal free or thimerosal reduced presentations.


This is all taken from the US Food and Drug Administration website so I consider it to be one of the most unbiased sources of information. And what do I conclude from those excerpts?

-Mercury is poison.
-Thimerosal has Mercury in it and is in vaccinations.
-“They” won't say thimerosal causes autism, but “they” won't say it doesn't.
-If it does it is only in a “minority” of children anyway.
-“They” don't know crap.
-“They” are trying to remove thimerosal from vaccinations because it could be very bad and want to cover their butts.

My other sister-in-law was visiting this weekend and we spoke about my vaccination dilemma. She told me that she had delayed all of her kids vaccinations until they were older especially in the case of her youngest son who was born after our nephews autism was diagnosed. He just turned four and had the MMR. She said he did have a unpleasant reaction. His arm swelled badly, was itchy and he had a huge purple blotch on it. I was glad to get her opinion since she shares my concern. If autism can be genetic, it has shown up in our family and could potentially be triggered by a vaccination I do not want to take a chance. I will wait until Baby A is older, bigger and can possibly handle it better. My sis-in-laws kids were okay waiting until they were older, I'm sure she will be too.

Perhaps I am making a mistake. I may regret my decision but I am simply not prepared to put her at risk. I realize I sound paranoid but I tell myself I have reason to be. I have seen autism up close and personal and it is a lifelong struggle for everyone involved. I am not willing to vaccinate her right now in case she is one of the few children who may have an adverse reaction. I know people may strongly disagree with me or have suggestions. Please do leave comments about it. I have had a difficult time finding information about this and want to know what people think having read what I have posted. Thanks a lot.

7 comments:

owlhaven said...

I share your concerns about immunization. many immunzations these days are thimerosol-free. -- you could check with your pediatrician to find out which ones are, I think. I DID get all my kids immunized, but I did several things differently. I spread the first immunzations way out-- did the first 3 sets at 4, 8, and 12 months, and then didn't do the toddler MMR til age 2.

One big concern that I have read about is that so many shots are combination shots these days, putting a BIG load of nasty stuff on the immune system all at once. Some people, instead of doing the combo vaccines, will ask that the doc split them up, and get, say, 4 shots over a month's time instead of in one combination shot all on one day.

I don't have any of my internet research bookmarked, but I know there is some interesting research out there.... I think you are right to approach immunizations cautiously.

Anonymous said...

Here is another site you might want to check out:
http://www.paho.org/english/ad/fch/im/ImmunizationSafety.htm

My handsom man is completely deaf in one ear due to having mumps as a child, a disease that he could have been vaccinated against.

So you're right... you have to make choices based on the information you have, and live with the consequences. Very, very hard. Would be much nicer if there was a definitive answer.

bon said...

you are the mama!

Lynanne said...

I think it’s essential for parents to make informed decisions regarding all aspects of medical/preventative care for their children. There are too many instances of parents blindly accepting their pediatrician’s advice when they should have trusted their instinct and asked more questions.

That having been said - I have a son with autism and have absolutely NO qualms about vaccinating any of my children. I am a medical researcher who specializes in immunology (including pre and postnatal development of the immune system) and infectious disease. I do not always follow “popular” science/established medical practice. So, when I first read about the purported link between autism and vaccines, I was concerned and did a lot of reading on the matter. What I have read and experienced has convinced me that childhood vaccines are both safe and necessary.

According to the CDC’s most current information: "Today, with the exception of some Influenza (flu) vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. to protect preschool children against 12 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative." (http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/concerns/thimerosal/default.htm) Furthermore, many vaccines have been reformulated to increase their safety (the acellular pertusssis vaccine for example).

I could go on and on about this but I really don’t think it’s my place to do so. My only other concern about delaying vaccination until a child is older is that the risks of serious sequela and death from the vaccine-preventable illnesses are highest during infancy. Outbreaks of measles (rubeola) and whooping cough (pertussis) are common, even today. It’s nearly impossible to protect an unvaccinated child during an outbreak because many times an infected person may not appear ill (esp with pertussis) or may be contagious before symptoms appear.

Whew! Anyhow… please don’t take any of this the wrong way. I’m not trying to be critical or judge you in any way. There are many reasons why people do not vaccinate their children and I can respect that.

owlhaven said...

I wrote a bit more about this in a post on my blog today

Anonymous said...

Altho I strongly disagree with not vaccinating a child, I think your decision was well thought out and I can see you really weighed all the pros and cons. It is clear you are educating yourself and not making an ignorant decision. You are the mother and you have to do what you feel, in your heart, is right. No one should make you feel bad about the decisions you make for your family!

Cori said...

I'm a few days late and just stumbled on your blog today...followed a link from a link from a link. I have a son with high-functioning autism (had all his vaccines on schedule and, in later research, several of these contained thimerosal) and have a younger daughter that we've chosen to selectively vaccinate and on a later schedule. She's four now and going through the vaccine schedule now. We've chosen not to immunize against chicken pox and Hepatitis B and will not use the flu shot with any family members, due to the mercury-based preservative. I think you've made an informed decision and that, due to your family history, it is the right one for your daughter. She is a gorgeous little thing.