Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Living As Cave Woman

I did indeed accomplish my cleaning yesterday in preparation for the meeting I hosted. I'm sure everyone was very impressed for the first five minutes after walking in the door. From that point on there were muffin crumbs, crayons and toys on the floor anyway so who cares!? No one said anything about the lemon slices in the water pitcher either. Hmm. So much for making impressions, even false ones.

I wanted everyone to know that my microwave is broken. I thought you all should know that I am now living like a cave woman. Next thing you know I'll be cooking on an open fire in my snowy backyard. What a total pain. I had no idea how much I appreciated this appliance until it was no longer working. I had heard of people cooking meals in their microwave and I thought, 'Ludicrous!' Actually I still think that's a bit crazy but maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, how I miss it's pretty green display of the time, how it defrosted chicken for me, warming up hot beverages that had become cold before I finished them and the leftovers. The leftovers!! I have to warm up leftovers in a pan/pot on the stove. On the STOVE! That's just silly. I have to stand there and stir the contents and make sure they don't burn! That's just ridiculous. Far too much work. I long to put my cold item on the turntable, close the door and hear the beep, beep, beep as I punch in the cooking time.

We have procrastinated buying a new one because Baby A is so tall we need to buy her a new car seat. This is going to cost a large chunk of change. As inconvenient as not having nearly instant hot food is, she comes first. One of many sacrifices we will make for her over the next several years.

I hope she knows how lucky she is to have such a nice car seat when her mama is sipping cold tea because her microwave that was only three years old decided to quit. Stupid appliances...
See how happy we were when she still fit in her car seat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny because I have experienced similar feelings when our microwave was down.

We went to Vermont to visit family once and stayed in the guest accomodations of a family friend. The kitchen in the main house for us to use had no microwave, no tupperware (hence decaying unwrapped food was left by the owners in the fridge), no plastic wrap of any kind and no small appliances. It was so difficult for me to cook! It took some MAJOR creativity on my part! I had to go outside my box.

Outside my box is scary. :)

bon said...

gadzooks! Look into purchacing one of those car seats that later morph into a car booster seat. Seriously? Baby A will be needing a booster before you can say KA-POW!

Jess Riley said...

My sister refuses to even OWN a microwave, fearing it will immediately give her cancer as soon as she presses "Start." Meanwhile, my own microwave has a partially cracked door. When I heat up some soup and stand next to it, I can actually feel my insides frying.

Just kidding about the standing next to it part. I actually leave the state while I reheat tacos.

owlhaven said...

Funny how you can really take a thing like that for granted- til it breaks!
Mary