Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fenu - What?

For someone with size H breasts (yes, I'm talking about them again!) I can't believe I have had so many problems with breastfeeding. I mean really.

I am back at work 16 hours a week. That's it. That's not a ridiculous amount of time to be working. I have been back for approximately a month now. Last week I was having a hard time pumping enough milk to leave for Miss A while I would be at work. In fact on Saturday she and her dad made a 'milk run' which entailed them coming to my work to collect the milk I had pumped on my lunch break. (Which she promptly guzzled back.) The upside? I got to see her while I was working and also everyone oohhed and aaahed over her and told me how beautiful she was. Which is good for my ego. I make pretty babies. Good for me. Just what the world needs, more beautiful girls to make the average girls feel crappy about themselves.

So needless to say I was stressed out. Sitting there with my pump saying my milk mantra 'come milk come' (kidding) but I end up with a measly two ounces. I think I may have figured out part of my problem. Pumping at work SUCKS! My workplace is in the middle of renovations and our 'staff area' is currently a cold, dim, drafty, dungeon of a basement. I have tried to make myself as comfortable as possible. I do my pre-pump routine. Put my sweater on, have a glass of water, eat my lunch while looking at my photographs of Monkey A, put her blanket on my lap, assemble pump and get out the ladies. I look at the photo of her sucking her thumb for inspiration. The lighting is so poor I strain to see if there is anything coming out. Panic. Think “I have to have milk for her tomorrow” then notice it is coming out. Just when things are looking promising someone comes down the stairs with laundry, or to get their jacket or something. I pretend I am super cool with my boob hanging out and a contraption warping my nipple into it's plastic mouth. 'Don't mind me, just milking myself down here.' They also act cool and remind me they have boobs too which is true but they aren't currently exposing themselves to me. On one extra special occasion my male boss sat downstairs with me and had a conversation with me while I pumped. I believe he was trying to make me understand that he is a man who is not uncomfortable being in the presence of a woman expressing her milk. I have my suspicions that he was indeed uncomfortable as was I and it has never happened since.

I called my La Leche League leader and my lactation consultant for advice yesterday. I was given suggestions and also a reason why my milk supply may have lowered. The combination of work with the fact that my sweet baby sleeps through the night are likely the reasons. I had begun pumping in the morning about an hour before she wakes up and this is when I express the most milk. (I figured that one out on my own. How wise am I?) Also I am going to take a 'Magic Bag' to work to lay on my chest before pumping and I have started taking 'Fenugreek'. I just read up on it this morning and taking it could lead to a post dedicated to the side effects I may be experiencing. To name a few... it stimulates sweat production (yippee!), promotes breast cell growth (oh boy!) and it can make your milk and urine smell like maple syrup (delicious!). I am to take 3 tablets 3 times a day with meals and in 24-72 hours it should be working if it is going to work for me. I'll let you all know.

So the adventure continues. What shall become of my blog after I wean my child? I'll have to start posting about 'American Idol' again. This is a photo I call 'Baby A vs. The Pump'.

1 comment:

bon said...

yeah... boob issues.
I am a woman who has narrowly averted mastitis. Yesterday my left breast was swollen, painful and getting hot... round the clock pumping and I am remembering how fun it was to work even the measly 15 hours a week when I had Bird.

actually I cried bitterly when I quit my job, and I still miss it three years later. Don't miss the pumping though.

wait... your post was not an open invitation for me to talk about MY boobs? Ooops! Sorry!