Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Job That I Get Paid For

Well folks it's official. My pits smell like maple syrup. If you don't know what I'm talking about then read this. I honestly can't say whether or not it improved my milk supply. I know Audrey isn't starving so that's all I'm concerned about. Waking up in the morning and pumping before she wakes up seems to have solved my difficulty's keeping up with her milk needs when I'm at work.

Speaking of my other job,(the one I get paid to do) I have spending a lot of time doing it lately. On Friday night some friends were in from out of town and we invited them over for supper and I cut their hair afterwards. They flattered me by saying my haircuts are the best they've ever had. After that compliment how could I deny them one of these superb haircuts? I couldn't. We had a great time, I think they looked fabulous and they paid me WAY TOO MUCH! (That's right A, way too much!) That's what you get when you accept a wad of folded bills. You think it's a reasonable amount and then you unfold the bills the next day and think “Holy crap! This is just a silly amount of money they gave me!” Oh well. It's nice to be appreciated.


Then yesterday I spent a lot of time at work. We all did one another's hair in the afternoon. This did not seem to be optional especially on my part since I had been getting several "You need your hair done!" comments from my co-workers. I guess I have 'new mother' hair. (Oh wait, I am a new mother! I guess it's not okay to look like one.) I took baby A with me and she was so well behaved. She played on a blanket on the floor and sang to us while we worked. She also sat on almost everyones lap for some of the time. Then we had to rush to our swimming lesson. Next we headed to Grandma's. She fell asleep on the way. I woke her, fed her, put her down for a nap, had a quick snack and went back to work. We each had a model and three words to inspire the cut and color we were to do. My words were away, clear and ethereal. We took before and after photos which I will post. (Feel free to tell me what you think!) The after photo doesn't really show off the color but I did a lot of blond as well as some lavender and silvery highlights in her hair. My interpretation of clear and ethereal. She had natural curl but I curled it all with my iron for a more polished and angelic look. I also did her makeup but it was very light and shimmery – again inspired by my words. Anyway, it was fun which is a good thing because we don't get paid for this sort of thing. My model was really nice, she liked her hair and so did I.

I was an hour late getting to my mom's and she and Peter had waited for me to get home before having supper. I felt bad but they didn't seem to mind much. Audrey loves her grandma and is very used to being with her at her place. I was sad that I didn't post anything yesterday but now you see what I was up to. Today I do not work and I am going to relax and fight the urge to not relax. How relaxing.

2 comments:

bon said...

Ahhhh!
See?! There are those SKILZ! I cut Dadguy's hair and have ever since the day we got married and I (shhhhhh) HATE it! I can do a respectable job on boy hair (mostly, except when I screw up).

Your model was lovely before... but ethereal after... good show!

Anonymous said...

This needs to be said: No amount is too much for a haircut from crazymamaD! But even with what we did pay, it was much more reasonable than any salon in Toronto that I have tried, with much better results. Thanks again D we love our cuts! -A