Thursday, February 16, 2006

Losing I.Q. Points

It's true people. I'm getting dumber every day. I have determined my hair must have been the source of my intelligence. I have lost at least half of it and along with it half of my brain power. You may not believe me but I will provide perfectly good examples.

Example #1.

During baby A's swimming lessons her teacher gives us basic instructions for little games we will play. Such as “Swim over here on your tummy, get a puzzle piece, swim on your back and put the piece in the appropriate spot.” This is far too complicated for me to understand. I look at the other mom's perplexed and say “I just totally missed that. What are we supposed to do?” Audrey looks at me as if to say “It's okay mom, I know what I'm supposed to do.”

Example #2

I find myself mesmerized by the Baby Einstein videos. I like them almost as much as little A does and I have favorite parts. I have pointed them out to Peter before like “Oh, I love this part with the train.” or “Watch this part. The puppet moves to the music.” In my defense, Peter agrees with me that these are indeed 'good parts' and he wants to buy the train for 'Audrey'.

That's all I can think of right now.

My loss of intelligence began during pregnancy when I vomited most of my I.Q. into the toilet. It has only gotten worse from there. It is as though I have no attention span. Like in the case of the swimming lessons. I start off listening to the instructor and then my mind wanders to... oh that baby is so cute... and wait "What are we supposed to be doing?" It's embarrasing.

Miraculously despite the loss of intelligence I am still competent at my job. Not to say you don't need to be intelligent to do my job since this would encourage the stereotype. I am still able to make people look beautiful while telling entertaining stories which now seem to be about labor, breastfeeding or motherhood. Perhaps I need to expand my storytelling beyond my small world. Oh yeah, I talk about blogging as well.

Since it's been a while since I posted a photo (due to technical difficulties which I hope will sort be sorted out) of my dear baby, here she is looking disgusted with me for becoming such a moron.

11 comments:

Rachelle said...

I can so relate. I got dumb with pg and hoped it would get better. Then sleep deprivation stole even more of my brain. I told my dh that if we have as many kids as we plan on, I'll be in the low 80's for an IQ once we're done.

bon said...

It's a good thing that I began this "mama" gig darn near a genious because after we...

wait...

what was we talking about?

Sugarmama said...

The sad thing is, "mommy brain" never really goes away, from what I can tell. The good thing is, you eventually forget you were ever any other way!

Your daughter is gorgeous, by the way.

bon said...

hey!
drag yer can over here http://onewomansworld.blogsome.com/
you've been nomernateeed

Jenn said...

hi, I found you via rachelle's blog.

I will agree with sugarmama,"mommy brain" can be here to stay. It's right up there with keeping a white couch or bladder continence.

You daughter looks porcelain and perfect. What a dolly!

owlhaven said...

Yeah, IQ points go straight into the child's brain from the mother's. With 8 kids, it's lucky I can still tie my own shoes. The up-side is that when they are teenagers they can share their brain-power with you when you ask them astute questions such as "what was it that we needed at the grocery store again?"

Mary

Anonymous said...

You need to look at it another way Mama D. You haven't lost intelligence, you've traded it for new intelligence. Motherhood comes with it's own PhD.

Jess Riley said...

Oooohhhh! She's so adorable!!! And I had to laugh at those anecdotes. :)

Man, I don't even have kids and I have mommy brain. The older I get, the more brain cells I feel falling away. Maybe I should stop drinking.

Unknown said...

I love baby einsteins too, and that IS a cool train. I also miss my memory...it was such a good friend to me.
And your little one is breathtaking.

Dawn said...

She saps it right out of yer boobs.

At least that is my story. Or the chronic pot use in college.

And get used to the look . Emily gives me a similar look everyday when I ask "How was school today Honey"

The "I find you so sad, old person. It is a pity that I must tolerate you for the time it will take me to grow up and then put you in a nursing home"

Anonymous said...

it's true what the Queen says! Just think how much new information you've jammed into your brain since you got pregnant.
But what's with the attention span thing? I'm always spazzing out now. I was always the person people asked "what did the instructor/etc. just say?" and I could repeat it word-for-word. Now I'm the one sitting there and drooling/staring/both.