Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Comparison Game

How many times have I said how much I hate it when I feel compelled to compare myself to others? If it's not “I'm not as thin as she is and she just had a baby yesterday.” then it's “Wow, she sewed all her daughter's outfits for the week, made five casseroles for the freezer and redecorated her living room all in one day! Why am I so lazy?” We all do it. But why? And how do we make it stop?

At church on Sunday I was so happy to see that my friend was there with her new baby. I had been wondering about her since I knew she was getting close. She was nervous because this was her second child and her first had been born cesarean section. She had given birth on Tuesday. So there she was at church on Sunday. Looking great, glowing, new baby sleeping like an angel in his carrier seat. I told her how great she looked. I asked her if she was really doing as well as it appeared. She told me she thought she was. I gulped and smiled. “That's so great!” I meant it. But as Peter and I took Audrey to the baby room I felt like crying.

I fell into the comparison rut. I hadn't made it to church the following Sunday. I was still in the hospital. I was still crying my eyes out at that point. I was feeling like I'd made a horrible mistake. I didn't think I could do it. All of my feelings of inadequacy came flooding back. Other people were capable of having babies and carrying on as though life had barely changed. What had been wrong with me? I told my husband how I was feeling. He tried to comfort me, reminding me that things had been different for us. And they were. "Baby A was sick." I said out loud. It was different. I agreed. But inside, I still felt horrible.

I hate doing that to myself. Making comparisons and feeling like a loser. I should be happy if someone is able to have a baby without going through what I did. I am happy actually. I really am. That's one reason why I started writing this blog. I hope that anyone who reads about the things I experience as a mother may find comfort in knowing that they are not alone or are more prepared for what can happen and deal with it better than I do.

I sometimes wonder if I'm accomplishing that goal. I was visiting with a friend this weekend and she mentioned to me that she had been reading my blog. She told me how she didn't know how I had time to write and do all of the things that I write about AND take care of Audrey. She told me she found it difficult to find time for anything other than taking care of her daughter. I worried and felt guilty that I was making her feel bad. Then, I felt bad because I thought maybe I was neglecting Audrey while I was doing all this other crap. Ridiculous. Really. Sometimes I wonder why I bother getting up in the morning.

I have begun to realize why I still have so much pain about my first months as a mother. I can't seem to accept that it was the circumstances that made it difficult. I still believe that it was my fault and if it had been anyone else they would have handled it better. That I wasn't strong enough. And that's what kills me. I feel like I'm coping out to talk about the fact that Little A was sick and wasn't eating. Making excuses for my inability to get it together. I keep thinking 'Next time it's going to be different!'. But part of me worries that if it happens again I will lose all self respect.

My brain is so annoying the way it can take a happy occasion for someone else and turn it into Worry and Pity- Fest '06 for me. I know I let it happen. I try to say, “Stop it brain!” but it won't listen to me! Stupid brain. To cheer myself up and make all of you smile, here's a little picture for our viewing pleasure.

11 comments:

Tracy said...

I know from your writing - and our mutual friend - you are an amazing mom (wife, sister, daughter...)! Don't doubt it. Audrey will be so proud of you.

Jess Riley said...

Well, I think you're a great mom. And your daughter is so beautiful! But you're so right: comparing oneself to others can be a "not-so-good" thing.

bon said...

Ahhhh, yes!
Just the other day I was reading a blog from a gal who had decided to paint the playroom that day and so she took her kids to Home Depot and chose a color and painted. She has three kids and her husband was gone for thirtysix hours and she had to teach in church the next day same as me.

As I whined to Dadguy, he said "well some people read your blog and wonder how the heck YOU do it." Oh, yeah. My strengths lie in other areas. Different kids are different and HOLY COW why do we do these things to ourselves?

Interesting note... there actually IS a learning curve to this Mommy thing... I am able to do things with three kids that I only dreamed of being ok with doing when I had just one baby. Grocery shopping? With three? It's strange and crazymaking but it's doable.

Jenn said...

MamaD-vine,
I read your blog and am SOO blessed. You really are not alone in this. I remember a mom I looked up to before I had my four kids..I thought she was wonder woman and one day she called me and said, "How do you do it with four??" Here I thought she had all the answers.

It made me realize that while you can keep up an appearance to the world, the proof in the pudding so to speak, is you and your family's spiritual, mental, physical health all around. Kids are happy. You get some alone time. Hubby is taken care of, all are well fed, wearing clean clothes and occasionally your sink gets cleaned out and your toilet scrubbed? You are ahead of the game.

It always helps when you pray, to ask God to see you how He sees you. That puts it in perspective.

PS. Flylady is my LIFESAVER. :o) and thanks for the link on the home cleaning tips. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

it's reasurring to listen to your "thoughts" and know that i am not alone in my crazy comparing mind. I guess its a self esteem thing we have to work on. Because i've known you for a long long time I know it is very much a mamaD thing. I don't know if I can help much because i need to stop it also But maybe we should just accept who we are, allow ourselves to have faults and compare but turn it around and tell ourselves that we are indeed amazing too. For example mamaD you are an unbelievable friend,hairdresser and storyteller, (among many other things!) I guess we just have to stop selling ourselves short as the saying goes. Love ya. (MamaFox)

owlhaven said...

I have gotten the 'how do ya find the time?' comments too. I've found that taking a bit of time here and there to do what I enjoy--- write-- really recharges me for the rest of my life...

You're doing fine!

Mary

bon said...

tag!

Sugarmama said...

I know I've said this before, but your daughter is truly gorgeous.

But about the other stuff. I don't think there's a woman out there who doesn't do this to herself. You can have the best, most happiest life in the world and still feel inadequate when another woman is doing something more interesting than you, or seems more together somehow, or whose kids are better behaved or WHATEVER. It's ridiculous!

Having read your description of your early months with your daughter, I think it sounded damn hard. Really. But if you can't seem to shake your self-blame over it all despite knowing better, maybe you should go talk to a counselor of some kind?

Just MJ said...

Your daughter is absolutely adorable! I love her her cheeks.

I am constantly comparing my weight to others. It's horrible what I do to myself. I feel self conscious and then foolish for having those thoughts. I think it helps to realize that life is not a contest or race. You do the very best you can with what you have been given. From reading your blog it seems like you have a very balanced life. You care for you baby, you work part time and you blog among other things. Also, your husband appears to be very supportive of you. It sounds to me like you are doing great. :)

Diana Mancuso said...

Mama D, thank you for sharing. One of the reasons I recently entered the world of blogging was to meet other people who have experienced similar things as me. I, too, have had days where I feel like I'm not doing enough, therefore I'm not a good mother / wife / sister / friend, etc. I had no idea that having a baby would wreak such havoc on my emotions, hormones and physique. Motherhood just isn't as natural as I thought after all. I've got plenty of learning. So keep writing!

Lynanne said...

I'm just now reading this (2 weeks later) and my heart goes out to you! I played the "if only" game more times that I would like to admit. If only I had just relaxed more...if only I hadn't worried so much...if only I had been a better mom. The truth is that just as every child is unique, so is the pregnancy, birth and post-partum journey. Even after my 3rd child I still mourn the perfect experience. It's so easy to look at others and be envious of how perfect things seem for them.

Remember that you only saw a small snapshot of your friend's life. Maybe she was biased by what she was feeling at that moment in time (after all, it's easy to feel good when everyone in church is cooing over your beautiful newborn).

I've noticed that when I catch myself comparing my life to other's I often do so with blinders on. I only look at the things that I admire and don't see the trade-offs. Sure that other person lost her baby fat sooner but did she have to exercise like a mad woman to get there? Sure her house is cleaner but did she have to do it while the baby slept (or did she have to give up her 'me' time and lose a little bit of sanity in the process). Its all about give and take.

Anyhow, I hope you're feeling better about yourself these days! From what I have read, you are an awesome mother! I really admire your fortitude.