Friday, February 17, 2006

To Whom I am Eternally Grateful

Today was a crazy day involving very cold weather, a car that wouldn't start, an argument with my husband and a staff meeting. And that was only the first three hours. Before leaving work after the meeting I see my midwife, Kari who is there for an appointment. I love this woman. She asked how Audrey and I were doing. I filled her in and told her that I started writing a blog. She gave me permission to write about her and post a photo. Also she wanted me to email her a link to my blog. So this post is dedicated to Kari. Not only because I know she'll be reading
it, but because she deserves it.

I decided a long time before ever getting pregnant that I wanted to have a midwife. I had heard nothing but wonderful things about them. When Peter and I actually started trying to have a baby I asked some of my clients who worked on the maternity floor in our hospital if they would recommend anyone in particular. Their overwhelming response was Kari. Once I had verification that I was indeed pregnant I called their office to make my first appointment. I eagerly anticipated this appointment and from the first moment I met her I immediately felt comfortable. I was very happy with my decision.

The months passed. At first, very slowly when I was so terribly ill. Kari was very helpful and supportive during this time. She was there as I got bigger and bigger and more uncomfortable. When I caught a terrible cold in my eighth month she was empathic. When I started to become nervous about the impending birth she was encouraging.

There was the small chance that she wouldn't be at the birth if she was not the midwife on call. She told me that she would make every effort to be there.

I went into labor on a Sunday and since babies always seem to prefer making their entrance in the middle of the night my water broke at around 12:00 am. I had paged the midwives earlier that evening to inform them of my progress and learned that Kari was not on call. I was a bit disappointed but knew the others and trusted them as well. I paged them again just after my water broke and Kari was the one to call me back. I nearly cried. I was so happy that she would be the one to deliver my baby.

She met us at the hospital at 1:00 am. When she checked me I was already between 8 and 9 centimeters dilated. Kari was amazing with me. I felt as though she just gave me the space I needed and watched me. She gave me suggestions on ways for me to be the most comfortable. I felt that she was totally in sync with my needs without my having to verbalize them. Just having her there knowing that she believed in my ability to do what I needed to do got me through it. When Audrey was on her way her heart rate dropped and things got a little sketchy. Kari told me she may need to cut me if her heart rate didn't come up again quick. I took that information and found the strength to push her out right away both because I didn't want to be cut and because I knew that Audrey was in distress. I appreciated her telling me what was going on so that I was able to do what I did. I have heard of women being cut without having any idea that it was about to be done. I appreciated her calmness in spite of the tense situation. I didn't panic because she seemed very calm.



Kari brought Audrey into the world at 3:14 am Monday morning. I cannot express the gratitude I have for this woman. Not only for being there for me during my pregnancy and birth but for being there in the weeks following. Those were the toughest weeks of my life and the fact that she was there to keep me from falling into the abyss ... She calls me a Saint for hanging in there but she is a Saint for giving so much to people like me. I respected her before I gave birth but my eyes were opened afterwards to the enormous number of hours she puts in, the sleepless nights, the home visits, the support and encouragement she gives. It must be absolutely exhausting. And her reward? Mothers like me who are eternally grateful and adore her for life. Did I mention that I love her?

(A quick note to my many readers (ha ha ha). I am a “Share the Love” blog awards nominee. You can vote for my blog here under the Most Meetable In Real Life category.)

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

What an incredible birth story! And Kari sounds like a wonderful midwife.

Sugarmama said...

Midwives rock! I love mine, too!

Just MJ said...

I love to hear birth stories and reading your birth story gave me serious "baby fever". Fortunately, that will last until my 3 kids (11, 8, and 6) get home from school. ha.ha. Congrats on the nomination.