Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Happy Heart Day

Audrey received her first Valentine from a boy in her swimming class! I thought it was the cutest thing but of course I wish I'd also thought of it. So there was the guilt of being an awful mother who doesn't give out Valentine's on behalf of her 5 month old child. There was also the resentment towards the mother who must have it all together. I mean, she gave everyone in our swimming class Valentine's cards! How does one have the time to be a mother and write out Valentine's cards? Not to mention the brain power to remember everyone's names and attempt to spell them correctly. Even if I had that fabulous idea and bought Valentine's cards, when I sat down to fill them out I would realize I didn't know the names anymore and if I did remember them I would butcher the spelling. I would then give up and feel guilty that I hadn't paid more attention to the other babies names. I don't know how I have time to look after Audrey when I'm so busy feeling guilty and resenting people.

My mother invited us over for supper for Valentine's. She doesn't have a Valentine so our little family would have to do. It was just like going out for a romantic supper except for my mom and baby were there, we ate at T.V tables rather than a dim candlelit one and we watched the Olympics instead of talking to each other. But hey, it was free!! Perhaps next year will be a bit different.

Peter wrote his own Valentine to me in a blank card. It said,

To my wife,

Thank you for your help and love, your joy and pain.
Thank you for our times in the sun and in the rain.
Thank you for the laughter and the tears.
Thank you for you, yesterday, today and in the coming years.


As I was typing it out I also realized that it rhymes. I accused him of copying it from somewhere. I didn't mind, I just thought he must have found the verse somewhere and wrote it in the card. He swore he wrote it himself. I think I may have ruined the moment. I do believe he has a future writing greeting cards. It may be his second calling. His first was computer geek.

Anyway, I was truly touched. It was certainly more meaningful than a gift. Actually, his gift to me was cuddling in bed watching the men's figure skating short programs. And he liked it. But Shhh don't tell anyone.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Dear Lord - Is your husband a Metro Sexual?!?!

My husband watched Supernatural last night and enjoyed it.

Your day sounds LOVELY!

Sugarmama said...

Yikes! Valentine's at 5 months?! And here I was thinking pre-school was a little young for Valentine's...! You're not less together than the other mom, you've just got more of a life, I suspect. Either that, or the woman has an addiction to paper crafts or something.

bon said...

Wait and do the V with A when she can enjoy it. Birdie is just now starting to really "get" it at four, and even then she just gets a charge out of writing her name on a pretty "Little Pony" card and handing that and some treats to other kids. It's about like a mini Halloween for her. LaLa is just along for the ride and likes to eat candy. 5 months? Maybe she can gum the card.

Anonymous said...

Yeah you're hubbie has some real artistic ability, too bad he doesn't draw anymore, he's lost his R.Crumb abilities!