Monday, February 27, 2006

A Tale of Two Bras

How much can one person talk about and obsess over their breasts? When that person is me, a lot! This is actually a tale of many bras but the first title sounds better.

We often say a mother 'wears many hats'. Well, I wear many bras. Not all at once. Well, when I work out I wear two at once but I digress. As anyone who reads my blog regularly knows, I have boob problems. They are many things, but mainly my complaint is that they are too big. Way too big. I have had this problem since I was about 14 years old. I went from na-da to woah-waah!! It was traumatizing. The boys who knew me didn't know what to do. They kept doing things 'accidentally' so they could cop a feel. It was, in one simple word, awful. Beyond awful. Not to mention the stretch marks that you get from growing so fast. Needless to say, I'm not one to show my stretch marky cleavage. I suffered along through school wearing over sized T-shirts which caused me to look not only large chested but larger in general than I really was. And let me tell you that is super popular in high school. My hate for them increased right along with my bra size. D to DD, DD to F and finally to G. G! Who knew?

I didn't actually realize bra sizes went up that high until my doctor told me to go here. I was asking him about breast reduction surgery at the time. I did go to the Bra Bar but was still annoyed that he didn't even want to discuss reduction surgery with me. I still think that once I am finished having and feeding my children, I will opt for surgery. Going bra shopping somewhere other than Wal-Mart was an awesome experience. Once I got over the horror of what my bra size really was I enjoyed the process. They explained to me how a bra was supposed to fit and how most people, even smaller busted people, are wearing ill fitting bras. I would have to agree. Now that I know how a bra is supposed to fit I feel I am a member of the bra police squad. “Excuse me ma'am, I'm going to have to stop you. Your bra is riding way up your back, that's just not right.” “Hang on there little lassie, your cups are running way over!”

Once I was properly fitted I actually felt a whole lot smaller in the bust. My clothes fit better. My self esteem was boosted. And my wallet was lighter as well. Buying a really nice bra costs a small fortune but for me, it is so worth it.

I was very, very nervous about what would happen to my boobs when I became pregnant. I tried to mentally prepare. Miraculously, nothing happened. My G's stayed the same until the end of my pregnancy. I bought two maternity bras. This one and this one. They accomadated me nicely when my milk came in and I was a little bigger. I have to say though, I just don't feel that pretty in those bras. They are my practical bras. And that is what got me thinking about writing this post.

I wear many different bras. I wear this one during the day, this one at night. I wear this one at the gym (with another cheap sports bra over top) and this one when I am working. They all have a purpose. Practicality to feed my baby as well as support, practicality to feed my baby and comfort, the ability to work out without knocking myself out with my own floppy boobs, and finally a bra that I wear when I don't have to feed my baby, one that makes me feel pretty - even though no one can see it and makes my breasts look nice instead of functional.

If I could I wouldn't have so many. It's complicated and expensive. But like so many things in life it is just something I have grown accustomed to. This is my body and I need to learn to love it. Or at least, I can buy bras that make it look better!

8 comments:

Sugarmama said...

Wow, this is SO not in my realm of experience! $66 for a bra?! Ouch! I have a friend with big ones, and we frequently discuss how handy it would be if someone would just invent a sort of breast exchange machine. She could get rid of a little and I could be the donor with the push of a button! Mine are so tiny I don't actually even need to wear a bra when I'm not pregnant or nursing. Seriously--like, not even an A cup in size. Sometimes sad, but sometimes kinda handy, actually.

thisbearbites said...

I wear the same size cup and can truly comiserate on how hard it is to be properly fitted!
I truly hope to get my insurance to, some day, okay a reduction. So far, it's not looking good.

Jenn said...

sugarmomma,
A TRANSFER button! THAT is so funny. I think I got what my sister should have. It would work for us.

mama d,
Oh, I hear you. It is so worth paying the moola. I cringe at $65 for a good bra but like you, I find it sooo worth it.

by the way, has your company come and gone?

bon said...

ahhhh.... BOOBS!

I am a measly DDD and I hate it. I have three sisters and they all claim I got everyones boobs and they are RIGHT. Where do I sign up for this transfer button?

Diana Mancuso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diana Mancuso said...

I've got a couple of Over-The-Shoulder-Boulder-Holders that are actually comfy but they weren't cheap either. I wonder when I'm done nursing if I'll ever go back to wearing underwired push-ups...

Andria said...

LOL! I can relate! I'm 5'4" and was in a DDD after I had my son. At the time I just couldn't afford to spend that much on a bra. I really don't think people realize how difficult living with that problem can be.

For whatever it's worth, I managed to convince my insurance company that it was causing back problems and they paid for a reduction. I had it done 8 years ago, the doctors removed over 1.5 lbs out of each side. It was honestly the best thing I have ever done. It gave me both my life and my self esteem back.

I can actually buy a swimsuit that fits now! I'm telling you, it was a wonderful, wonderful thing. I cried when I went in for my first bra fitting and was told that I needed a 34 C. I think the lady thought I was nuts!

Good luck to you!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

So many bras, so little time. I hated trying to fit into a bra when I was pregnant. I remember after having the kid, I would be sleeping in a bra, wondering if I'd ever get out of it. What a miserable time. Now I just have saggies.

And that one bra model sure as hell doesn't look like she just had a baby. WTF?