Thursday, March 23, 2006

Just Smile

I think I'm stressed but I seem to be handling it well. This boiler thing has been a monkey on my back since last Friday night when it first went berserk. Despite the nice plumber coming back again yesterday and attempting one more procedure on our boiler, at 5:00 am this morning I awoke to the jet engine noise. I hauled my tired behind downstairs to note which burner was spewing blue flame this time, dragged myself back upstairs, turned off the thermostat, turned it back on and went back to bed. Once there my knee began to ache.(Must be the damp weather) I tried turning on each side, my stomach and my back to get comfortable. I contemplated getting up to watch Joyce Meyer on television. I eventually fell asleep again until 7:00 when I heard Audrey playing in her crib. I sat up to pump for ten minutes. When I am nearly finished Peter goes and changes her (poopy diaper!) and brings her to me. I have been thinking a lot lately about how happy I will be when I no longer have to pump every morning. It has grown tedious and annoying. My new goal is to hang in there until Baby A is a year old. I may be able to cut back the nursing a bit towards the year mark and in turn, cut out the pumping. We'll see.








Introducing rice cereal has been interesting. This is week two. I deemed this morning a success and a failure. The start was promising. Audrey opened her mouth and swallowed several times like a pro. Then she blew bubbles with a force I had yet to see. I tried to give the spoonfuls in between the “BBBBBbbbbbbb!” but you know, it didn't really work. By the end of breakfast she and I were covered in a fine mist of cereal. Lovely. I keep reading about how introducing solids is a learning experience. Boy howdy.



And then there is the thumb. I love the thumb. When she found her thumb I was happy. She was happy. A much happier baby. It's cute, it makes her happy. It may very likely be the reason she can sleep through the night. But the thumb is becoming an issue. Last week at swimming lessons, if she didn't have a pool toy in her mouth it was her thumb. When I feed her her cereal I often have to pull the thumb out to get a spoonful in. Lately, when nursing, she wants to suck her thumb for about a minute first but my boob has to be out and ready or else she'll just turn back to her thumb. Or sometimes she's all - boob – thumb, boob – thumb. It's drives me nuts. Let me tell you kid, there is nothing like sitting around with my boobs hanging out waiting for you to stop sucking your thumb. It's a good time. Let's do this in public for fun.



The boiler monkey should be off my back tomorrow when the plumber comes to install a $400 part on it. Yippity do Dah! I wonder how much a new boiler would cost. The plumber is a nice guy though. He has been really good about everything and didn't charge us for coming over yesterday. And hey, he went up on our roof. That deserves a cookie or something. I think he'll have to settle for a smile.

*I posted so many pictures today that I made them small. Just click on them if you want to see them in their glorious enormousness.

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

Cam blows bubbles with his food when he is 1) full 2) bored of that food 3) doesn't like that food. It makes meal time very interesting when it is blown all over the place (and all over me). Good for you on pumping so long! Cam self weaned and I stopped pumping this weekend. It was nice to give that up, but also represented the end of something special, so it is a bit sad. I wanted to make it a year, but when he started self weaning at 8 months and gave it all up at 10, I had to be happy with that.

Andria said...

What a cutie! Hang in there, it does get easier. I promise!

owlhaven said...

Cute pix! Hope the furnace gets fixed soon

Mall Worker said...

Little A is such a cute angel! Cereal will get easier as she learns! Just wait until she's spraying you with carrots!

Jenn said...

Mama D-stressed
I miss the infant stages and sometimes I don't. Pumping every day would make me a bit batty, but hang in there!!

So, with all her traffic by the mouth, any sign of teeth?

Dawn said...

Yeah, sounds like teething to me. Isn't that cereal sticky? Like superglue or something.

Diana Mancuso said...

Ah, yes. Sticky cereal, it gets everywhere but inside Baby's mouth. Maddie would always grab the spoon in the beginning so I would often give her another spoon to hold. But like the thumb, it became an issue. Eventually, she grew to love cereal and I couldn't feed her gaping mouth fast enough!

bon said...

ahhhh... something other than the smenita of death!... food... yeah, nothing helpful here.

Just tell me, I gotta know! Do you have a matchie-matchie swimsuit to A? I see a black n white polkadot theme here!

Just MJ said...

From a former thumb sucker: there is nothing like it in the world. None of my kids were thumb suckers although I kept up the habit until the age of seven.(only at night)Isn't it the cutest?