Thursday, May 11, 2006

Independent Woman



I'm wondering if every day is going to be an exercise is frustration from now on. My happy baby has turned into my whiny baby. She used to wake up in her crib all happy and playing. Now she's often complaining soon after waking up for us to hurray up and let her out. She used to sit happily in her highchair playing with toys until I made her cereal. Now she's grumbling that she doesn't want to sit in the highchair and is studying the belt clasp and poking it with her little fingers trying to free herself from it's restraint. One time not so long ago, she ate with enthusiasm. Opened her mouth and said “Ummm!” when I fed her. Now she purses her little lips or if I managed to get a spoonful in she'll often push it back out. Sometimes with only enough force so that it runs down her chin but lately she has spit it out and it has landed on her sleeve or on me. She once enjoyed playing in her exersaucer but seems to have no time for it now. She'll tolerate it just long enough for me to accomplish what ranks highest on my list of priorities at that moment. On days when I work that priority is often trying to make myself look professional. How professional I actually look depends on her patience level for that particular day. She is just not the happy child she once was.

That is unless she is on the floor crawling or standing up on something. Then she's all “ha ha ha ha ha” the whole time. Really, she does that. This morning I thought I'd be a nice Mama and let her play on the floor in the living room. At first I thought it was going rather well. But then our cat decided he wanted to sit right with her. I repeatedly had to remove her tightly clamped hand(s) from his fur. You think he'd get the hint. Move. He just stayed there. She tried using him as an object to push herself to a standing position. I had to stop her several times. Still, our cat stayed in close proximity. I felt like I was looking after two children. No matter how much I tried to steer our cat away from her he wouldn't go. I suppose I could just let them work it out themselves. If she ticked him off enough he would let her know. But I am a peace lover so I haven't done it yet. I don't want either one of them to be traumatized by the other.


I guess I wasn't expecting this expression of independence so soon. That need to be out on her own, exploring and doing her thing. She wants me to be there. She's constantly looking back at me from whatever she is doing and her eyes are saying “Look Mama! See, I'm crawling. And watch this, I can stand. Ha ha ha ha ha.” And when she falls and she cries that awful cry that says “Oh, that hurt a whole lot!” I hold her and she seems confused. She was having fun and suddenly there was all this pain. How did that happen?

That's what I'm wondering. How did this happen? You were a baby. And now? Now you are this little person. You don't need me as much. You want to do big girl things and be on the floor. Not sit on Mama's knee or be carried around. You can do it by yourself. Until you fall. Then you need me.

I knew this was going to happen eventually. Like when she was a teenager. But now? I wasn't ready for this.

9 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I know its hard now, but if I believe what I've been hearing form others, it will get easier. Just wait until she happily crawls to you to give you a hug or kiss, that might make it a little easier :)

Sugarmama said...

This is a tough phase when all the good old stuff isn't so good anymore and it's all about mobility and "doing-it-myself." You are still SO important, though, because you're the one she's checking in with for approval, fear, encouragement, etc.

this single spark said...

I love the picture of Baby A and Casey. They totally look like buds! And he will let her know if she's being too rough. Trust me. My cat sure did. I've got the scars to prove it! (just kidding about the scars, by the way.)

Tracy said...

oh she needs you! i have often compared this phase to an experience i had in a german train station. i don't speak a word of german. the train agent didn't speak a word of english. i was so frustrated that i couldn't figure out how to get where i wanted to go!!!! it will get easier. just wait until she learns to say "NO" :)

have a lovely lovely mother's day!

bon said...

Gad ZOOKS yer comments hate me! It really DOES get better.

My Birdie never had a second to spare for her Mama, couldn't POSSIBLY stand the constraint of holding my hand to even walk across the street ( I had to pick her up kicking and screaming and carry her across).

All that is different know that she is confident of her abilities and she knows the boundaries etc... of course four year olds have all their own NEW challenges... social skills, learning to share and be considerate.... sigh.

Dawnyel said...

Kids grow up WAY too fast! I was looking at my son the other day and realized he's no longer a toddler...he's a boy! It seems your daughter is giving you previews into what she'll be doing soon! It is nice though when they actually want to be with mommy! (For me it's rare, but it does happen!) It's too bad they don't stay small longer!

Rachelle said...

They grow up way too fast!

GiBee said...

Yup -- Hunter is starting to display some of these same bahaviors ... at only 7 months. GAAHHH!!!

I'm so with you on this!

Diana Mancuso said...

I totally feel the same way. Maddie has made so much progress in such a short period, it's almost shocking to think that she's not as dependent as she used to be. She's already fallen a couple of times and got her first goose egg on her forehead just the other day. She hasn't really gone after my shoes yet. Only my hubby's ratty ol' workboots. Hmmm, I wonder if I should be concerned about that....