Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm Sorry, Did You Want Clean Underwear?

Having good friends (whom you haven't seen in over a year) come to visit has nearly no drawbacks. I have had almost a week of one on one or make that one on one/baby, time with her. We have laughed, we have cried (Tears of laughter due to the fact that I took a series of photographs of her and Audrey in which she looks like she drank an entire bottle of gin by herself. Only she hadn't. I'd post pictures of that but I promised I wouldn't and she would end our friendship. Since she's a party pooper I'll post a more flattering photo instead. Tears of sadness while watching a sad movie. A movie! I watched a movie! I had nearly forgotten what those were.) and we have talked. It makes me remember what it used to be like before she moved away.



Technically, I only have one more 'day' with her. Tomorrow. I booked us simultaneous pedicures. It seemed like an awesome last day hanging out with your girlfriend activity. My mom graciously agreed to babysit while we are being pampered. I can't wait. I will be sad to see her go. If only we could afford to fly to visit her every so often.

This morning when Peter was digging around in an empty sock/underwear drawer I realized that in all my fun friend time I had neglected to do the laundry. It had occurred to me that I should probably do it soon but I hadn't realized the situation had become so desperate. I felt guilty that he needed to wear second day underwear all because I have been having too much fun. Oh well. I did the laundry while Audrey napped and my friend and I watched the rest of our movie. (Yes, although I watched a movie, it was too much ask to watch it all in one viewing.)

I have also totally run out of a few groceries. I intended to get them this afternoon before work but Audrey decided she would much rather stay home and have a nap. And as you all know, I try not to mess with the kid's routine. It's already messed up enough when I have to go to work. Lucky for both of us she loves visiting with her Auntie and her cousin enough to sacrifice that routine.

I find it so strange the way time disappears since I had a baby. I accomplish so much less in a day. If I go shopping with a friend or go for a walk (a nap would be totally out of the question!), something suffers at home. I can't seem to fit it all in. Or if I try I am up WAY too late and I become grumpy and exhausted. I guess what I am accomplishing as a mama, day after day, is far more important in the grand scheme of things, than a clean pair of underwear.

14 comments:

this single spark said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have no children and I'm still wearing the ugliest, saggiest pair of undies today. Not because I felt like it, but because I have not managed to do laundry in almost two weeks. No excuse for that, really!

Missy said...

I agree about the laundry! It always feels like "just yesterday" when I did it, and yet here we are diry underwear and towel-less. LOL I am glad that you are able to get some girl time in with your friend. It is amazing what a little time for reconnection with an adult can do.

Mall Worker said...

We're always having that laundry problem here. It seems that I'm constantly doing it and there is constantly nothing clean.

I get you on the time thing too. Not enough hours in the day to get everything you need to do, and want to do done. Its hard to pick and chose like that!

Sugarmama said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! What you said!

beth said...

I know. It seems like every little thing we want to do displaces something that needs to be done. So I can choose to go out for a walk, but that means I'll have no clean dishes tomorrow. I think this is the ONLY good thing about the dropping of the 2nd nap; at least it increases our windows of time.

The Gambler said...

Posting from a married man to your husband-- Does he not know how to work the washing machine? When he pulled out the last pair of underwear and socks the day before, how did he think that clean ones were going to get in there? He can wash towels and underwear. There is really nothing you can do to screw up washing underwear (except maybe putting a red shirt in the whites and wearing pink underwear)

You are working too hard keeping a job, a baby and the house. He can do some of the stuff. He can do the towels, underwear, jeans laundry items. (I learned never to wash good clothes, I screw it up. That is wife duty) He can take the grocery list and find all the items in the store. Then you will have time to do the other stuff.

Good luck
John

Anonymous said...

OH dear...I go through that too. Last week when my dog passed away, Saturday night, The King comes in and says...sheepishly...I realize you are sad, but things are backing up in the laundry department...I have no underwear. So I decided I better get back in the swing of things...I don't want The King going around al fresco!

:)

Dawnyel said...

Laundry and groceries are a good sacrifice for the sanity of a happy and well rounded mommy!! I must admit that I let my laundry go far too long also, but I rationalize to my husband that it's really my sanity that he wants saved....OR ELSE!! :) If you ever need things rationalized...come to me...I'm the queen or rationalization!! :)

Anonymous said...

Pedicures with a good friend...sounds blissful.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. "Gambler"

I'm surprised you have time for laundry with your interesting hobbies.

Hubby

PS I am lazy and my wife ain't allowed shoes neither, cuz then she might think she needs to go somewhere besides the laundry room

The Gambler said...

Dear Mr. Anonymous,

Just did not think you would link to the other blog and check me out. I should have kept the Anonymous liek you did. You are one up on me my friend.

Even with our hobbies, I am still responsible for all outside maintenance and home maintenance. I cook almost daily and do laundry when I run out of shorts and towels. It ain't too hard to see when the underwear drawer is empty and just throw some in the wash in case they are ever needed.

Later,

P. S-- are you jealous that we have a good time? A little different but don't knock it until you try it.

Mama D said...

When I wrote this post I in no way meant to imply that my husband is lazy, that he doesn't help or that he is incapable of doing laundry. We each have chores that we do on a regular basis and sometimes we help each other out. As I had said I had noticed we were getting low on clean clothes but I didn't do anything about it. He unfortunately hadn't noticed until there was nothing left. We actually thought it was funny. I did feel guilty because laundry is something that I usually do, and I don't mind doing it. I appreciate the concern that anyone may have that I am perhaps overworked. I assure you that both my husband and I work hard and do our share. Life just gets a little hectic sometimes and it can be hard to keep up.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gambler

I didn't even think you'd see this reply. I was just trying to get a rise out of you. Thanks

Hubby

The Gambler said...

Hey, Hubby,

Some guy made an unsensitive comment about my lifestyle in my blog. I guess I just over react to negative comments. I had a feeling you were pulling my chain.

anyway, I enjoy what we do and that is all that matters.

By the way, I do the laundry, I just don't have a lot of my clothes to wash!! LOL Mostly just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt a week. I do a lot of towels, etc. Just not a lot of clothes.

Oh, Mama D. I did not mean to imply that your husband was lazy and did nothing around the house. I was just afraid he thought some things were 'women's work'. You have a wonderful baby and everything becomes parenting. Keep up your good work.


the Gambler