Monday, May 29, 2006

Hail

Yesterday while we were in church there was a hail storm. The hail was the size of ping pong balls. We couldn't see outside at all during the storm we just heard it start coming down. It was rather creepy. There was a crack then another then another until it sounded like a thousand rocks pelting the building from every direction. I think I've mentioned how vivid my imagination is so I was picturing baseball sized hailstones smashing through all the windshields of the cars in the parking lot. I thought about Audrey who was being babysat in another area of the building. I felt that strong mama urge to go to her and make sure she was safe. Which of course I rationally knew that she was. It was hard to concentrate on the sermon which was about conquering your fears and we reviewed the scripture about Jonah on a boat in a storm. As soon as we started reading the scripture the storm stopped... Weird, huh? It made me think about this NOOMA video called Rain. If you have never seen any of these you should really go to the link. I think Rob Bell is such an amazing speaker and that is one of my favorite NOOMA videos. Let me know what you think.

Anyway, Audrey was fine of course and there were no broken windshields. There were lots of kids outside looking for hailstones in the grass. Gotta love kids. Who cares if hard chunks of ice just fell out of the sky, look how cool they are!! Upon inspecting our vehicles we discovered a couple of significant dents. Neither of us cared too much because, whatcha gonna do? I don't know if autopac with cover any of the damage or not. I didn't bother calling today since they'd likely be swamped with calls.

In the afternoon I went on a cleaning rampage. I cleaned our entire bathroom and moped the floor and the kitchen floor. I also cleaned the wood floors in the hallway and dining room with Murphy's Oil Soap. What a feeling of satisfaction. It was badly in need of being done but I never seemed to have the time. I always think I am such a freak when I get so giddy about freshly cleaned floors or whatever. Oh well.

My next project is getting some gardening done. My lovely Hosta has a big hole through one of it's leaves thanks to a hailstone. I was actually surprised that my garden looked as good as it did afterwards. I was happy that I hadn't already done the rest of my planting. My friend from The Single Spark is a pro gardener and she's going to help me out. Yippee!

And the most hilarious news of all is that I have been invited to play baseball tonight with some ladies from our church. Apparently, someone told the woman who's recruiting players that I was a “ball player”. I set her straight and told her I was a “ball breaker”. (I prefer definition #2) I am in fact a terrible ball player. Or at least I think I am and must be considering I haven't played baseball since I was at least ten. I also hate baseball. I hate watching it on television. I did go to a NLB game while visiting a friend in Toronto a few years back. That was kinda fun. Mostly because I liked making fun of the drunk guys in front of us. Oh, and the pretzels were good too. So of course when I was asked if I'd be interested in playing the answer was definitely no right? Right? Come on, Right? Wrong. It will be a blast from the past this evening when I am standing out in right field picking my hang nails and waiting for this dumb game to be over already. Peter and Baby A will be there to witness the humiliation I will experience when I repeatedly strike out. I'm trying to teach my child early about how it's okay if you're not good at everything you do. And how you shouldn't really agree to play a sport you hate even if everyone goes out for ice cream afterwards. They will have to come and watch me spar when I am back at TaeKwon Do. That way my daughter will know I'm not terrible at everything. She can watch me kick butts with the big boys.

6 comments:

Mall Worker said...

That hail storm was just crazy! I ran out and brought in my planters before they got destroyed, but I think I wasted my time!

I'm with you totally on the Baseball thing, there is nothing more boring in the world to me!

Diana Mancuso said...

Holy Hail, Batman!

You gotta love Toronto, eh? If not for the salty pretzels, then at least for the entertaining drunkards.

Oh, and I'm a freak too when it comes to finally getting things clean. It just makes me so slap-happy.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I just can not stand storms like that...it's awful!

bon said...

Oh HO! and look at Diana demontrating her superior HTML skilz with the links right in the comment! Daguy showed me how to do that once....once. I feel yer pain on the Hosta tip.... I have four of 'em and they all took a massive beating last year from a hailstorm, this year so far they are doing well in their broadleafed and varigated glory. I love me some hosta's.
now i gotta hasta, and check out de NOOMA.

Diana Mancuso said...

Hey, hey! and look at Bon using them big gardening words! Any chance you'd feel like fixing our garden? It's a-lacking lotsa hosta.

Dawnyel said...

See what happens when I leave town and can't catch up on people's blogs?? I get left behind!! LOL! Man, I totally would have freaked out at that hail storm too! I tried to watch that NOOMA thing and my computer is too dumb to let me watch it! ARGH!!
Way to go baseball girl! At least you said yes...I would have done everything in my power to get out of it, but you are brave! Hats off!!
I wish I could have participated in your game, I LOVE the Princess Bride (and it's been on one cable channel here for going on 2 weeks!) I guess I'll just have to wait for the next one!! :)