Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Little Life - An Update

I hope someone noticed I wasn't here yesterday. Where was I? Standing in front of my work peers doing a presentation on 'Upstyles'. It was my first ever presentation. At least to people from work. I have stood in front of a lot of people teaching TaeKwon Do but this was different. One of the people was my boss. Another was a woman who has been in this industry about 10 more years than I have. I beat down the insecure voice inside of me that was saying “What can these people learn from YOU.”

Once I got started I thought things went pretty well. I spoke for about ½ and hour and then did three models. It was pretty weird standing and working in front of people. It gave me a lot more respect for the stage artists I have watched. There is an art to showing the audience what you are doing while being interesting and doing nice work. Everyone had a model of their own to do after I was done. I think everyone got something out of it. I did feel a little like a couple people might have found it to be a waste of time but hey, whatever.

What was really exciting was that Audrey spent the afternoon with the woman who will be looking after her on Fridays come September. That is when I will be adding a day to my work schedule. I am relieved to have found someone I trust who can look after her. When I arrived to pick her up all the kids were in the backyard and Audrey was in a swing. The sun was shining on her little head and she looked so content. It was a really great moment. She was happy to see me though which was also nice.

Today is my mom's 70th birthday. I can't believe it. I remember as a kid I always felt bad that my mom was 'so old'. Much older than all of my friends moms. I also remember imagining my high school graduation and how my mom would have a walker or be in a wheelchair by then. Not quite. I do still sometimes feel sorry that because of the age gap we do not have more things in common. When I hear about other people going shopping or to movies with their moms I get I little sad. She is coming over for supper tonight though and we are going to order Chinese food. As a family we are going to celebrate in a larger, more important way. A way that a 70th birthday should be celebrated. And try to distract her from her impending surgery date scheduled for June 26th. She is very anxious about it. I can't really blame her. Being honest, I am too. She taught me well.

In other news I posted TWO, that's right TWO new chapters at “The Mama D Experiment”. (Since some people think that one just isn't enough Feedback is very much appreciated. I happen to think 'Seven' is quite good. Write what you know...

6 comments:

bon said...

yeah... I just discovered that my Ma was 67 years old! Whoah! She just doesn't seem that old to me... of course I'm almost (shhhhhhhhh, 37) so the the age difference between us is not quite as big.

congrats on yer "presentation."

Mall Worker said...

I noticed that you were gone! I'm glad everything went well with your presentation!

Diana Mancuso said...

Happy Birthday to Mama D's Mama!

I used to feel bad when I was a kid thinking about how old my mom was, too. Now she has really bad arthritis which totally sucks because she loves moving around and cleaning the house. Yes, she loves cleaning.

Anyway, I'll be thinking about your mom on June 26.

Dawnyel said...

So you were playing the part of a teacher as well as being a mama and a hairdresser?? WHAT A WOMAN!! I'm impressed.
I was wondering where you were...I just thought that maybe you were taking the day to play with your daughter! Shows what I know!!
Thanks for posting 2 chappies!! YAY!! I'm going there next!!

GiBee said...

Wow! I am very impressed!!! I'm pretty sure you did great!!!

Sugarmama said...

Congratulations on finding someone you trust to watch Audrey. I'm looking again myself because our regular babysitter is going on a summer internship...

My mom was 18 when she had me, so I always had the youngest mom growing up. There's a good side and a bad side to that, I suppose. She spent a lot of our childhood growing up herself, but on the other hand we can share clothes now. Having an older mom probably meant that she was that much wiser and more patient with you. Or so I imagine. Because my mom wasn't exactly wise or patient back in the day.