Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Once Upon A Time...

When I was thirteen years old my parents split up. The strangest thing about it was that I was actually happy. They had been fighting for as long as I could remember. They had some good times too. But good times are so easily erased by alcohol abuse, verbal abuse and just plain absence. I was thrilled to move away from the town where I had been bullied and belittled by my classmates more days than I cared to think about. It was a fresh start for my mom and I. In time she healed and became the mother I always knew she could be if not preoccupied by a failing marriage that was an unbelievable heaviness on her shoulders. We could now move forward and make a life for ourselves.

What did I learn from that experience? I learned that I never wanted to go through what my mother went through. I never wanted to spend my life with a person, have children with a person, and have that person trample on those years and those memories and tarnish them forever. I was convinced that I would never find someone that I trusted so implicitly to never do that to me. Someone who would truly commit to me for life, in good times and bad. I thought I'd found that person in high school. We were each other's first 'real' loves. We dated for 2 ½ years. The last 1 ½ were not great. They were filled with jealousy and trust issues until the relationship finally dissolved. My world crashed in on me. My suspicions had been correct, I couldn't trust anyone. I was only happy to have found it out before I married him and had his children. I then attempted to have a 'casual' relationship, one that would never lead to marriage. This relationship which last for about 3 years was also emotionally draining and seriously damaging to my self esteem.

It was at this point that my life took a turn. I went to visit a friend out of town for the weekend. When I arrived her husband's brother was already there. I had met him several years earlier when I was 19 and still dating my 'high school sweetheart'. I had always thought him to be 1. gorgeous 2. Intelligent 3. Interesting. He was also painfully shy and over the years when I was around him I enjoyed forcing him to talk to me by asking him questions about the book he was reading or whatever. From pretty much the first time I met him I would often think about him and consider what it would be like to date him. I didn't even think of this as being a real possibility since I was always dating someone else and he lived two hours away. Yet on that weekend while visiting his sister in law the possibility presented itself. I had recently given up on the 'casual' relationship that was going no where and found myself to be unattached for the first time since I was 16. I hadn't expected to be spending so much time with my friends brother in law during my visit but each night, after everyone had gone to bed we stayed up talking. I wanted to hug him many times but he made me nervous. I was never too nervous to be affectionate. Except with him. I left that weekend with his address in my pocket. Little did I know that he would be the person who I would trust enough that I'd agree to spend my life with him.

And now we have had his baby. I don't regret it. Not one bit. Even though our relationship has gone through more ups and downs in the past months since her birth than it has in the nearly ten years we've been together. I look at him and I believe that it is all going to be okay.

Yet things, bad things have been happening to women I care about lately. The men in their lives have disappointed them in the worst ways. It shakes my confidence in my own relationship. We all want to believe that we are going to live happily ever after. When the happily ever after falls apart for people we know how do we pick up the pieces? And how do we not lose faith in our own happiness?

4 comments:

Dawnyel said...

I've been reading these things about women and men calling it quits all around and I, too, have felt shaken. As soon as I finished reading a post yesterday I called my hubby and told him how much I loved him and appreciated him. I've had many ups and downs (like most married people) and we had a SERIOUS down about a year ago...almost ending what I had considered a wonderfully filling relationship, but with prayer and work (yes, marriage takes work) we've worked through it all. There are NO guarantees in life, but if you work hard and trust in God I believe things will work out for the best...no matter if it's what we want or not!
Thanks for sharing your story...it's so sweet! :)

Diana Mancuso said...

It's sad, scary, disappointing, the list goes on...

As a society, we believe in this ideal that finding true love is the be all and end all. The movies make it look easy and more often than not, there is always a happy ending. Unfortunately, reality is a bit different. Centuries ago, people married and had children knowing that life was short. Today, committing to "Till death do us part" is daunting. But it's almost a crapshoot, as is life. Last month, we had dinner with some friends and friends of their's who have a three year old little girl. A couple of weeks later, the husband was killed instantly in a car crash. It's crazy. But sometimes I think these things happen to remind the rest of us how precious life is, inluding the married life. Carpe diem.

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean.

I was lucky to be raised in an intact family. But my dad works with families going through divorce and trying to settle custody out of court. Thus, divorce was always something that just seemed like a reality to me. Statistics agree.

However, recently two friends have seperated & are divorcing. Though I have seen couples and common-law couples split, this is the first of my married friends. I was shocked how much it 'rocked my world'. Both me and couples around me subsequently spent a lot of time having the 'relationship talk'.

I immediately thought of the numerous weddings I've been privelaged to be at over the last 12 years. If I'd been asked to make a list of the ones that wouldn't last this couple would not have been on it.

Perhaps I didn't really know them as well as I thought. Perhaps they can say that about eachother. I wish I knew so that I could apply the lessons to my own life & relationship.

bon said...

No answers here... all I know is that having kids really rocks the boat, and a marriage is a juggling act to begin with.

I'm with ya, as a matter of fact I was thinking about my &#$@^ cousin and his demolished marriage. I am so heartbroken and pissed off at him. His wife is the best thing that he ever had and he trashed it. LOSER! To say nothing of four beautiful and brilliant kids. He so knew better.

hm... rereading this comment, I think I may need a "annon-shoot-my-mouth-off" blog.