Monday, August 14, 2006

Mama D Gets Married

So I decided to do a YouTube week. I've only posted one YouTube video before. I think it's a lot of fun but it is totally something that Peter does for me. He makes the YouTubing possible. So thanks babe!

When I thought about doing an entire week of YouTube I wondered what I should post. Random cute baby videos? Always popular. But what I decided I wanted was for it to be a chance for people to get to know me a bit. A glimpse into my life and a hint of who I am. There are so many of you out there who I feel I have gotten to know pretty well. I am amazed at how much I have grown to care about people who I have never met. When I began blogging I never expected to make so many friends and feel so close to people who are so far away. Anyway, enough with the sappiness.

Peter and I were married on September 14th 2002. We had been engaged since June 4th the previous year. I met him when I was 18 years old and attending hair school. I went to school with his brother's girlfriend who later became his wife. I remember the first time I met Peter in his brother's basement apartment. My friend and I went to the apartment after school and Peter and his brother showed up shortly after we arrived. I immediately thought he was cute and the fact that he was so painfully shy he wouldn't even look at me was only more appealing. I tried to be witty and I noticed he was laughing at my attempts. I was still dating my high school boyfriend at this point and honestly never considered the possibility of EVER dating Peter, let alone marrying him. His brother's girlfriend and I remained friends and for the following 2 ½ years I saw him occasionally while visiting with her.

On the July long weekend in 1997 I traveled two hours to visit my friend who was now married to Peter's brother. By the end of that weekend I think I'd pretty much fallen in love with Peter. I'm not sure if his brother and my friend had this planned for us but when I arrived Peter was there and he was around for pretty much the entire weekend. After my friend and his brother went to bed we would stay up talking for hours. When I left I asked for his address and I wrote him a letter as soon as I arrived home. The rest is history.

The next 5 years were full of ups and downs. A good portion of that time we had a long distance relationship. Sometimes it seemed as though it was never really going to work out between us, the distance was too hard. But breaking up never seemed like an option. We were just stuck with each other whether we liked it or not. That sunny June 4th afternoon when he went down on one knee and asked me to marry him was one of the happiest days of my life. But then our wedding day just over a year later blew that day away.

Peter edited some of our wedding video together with 'Lovesong' by The Cure playing. That was our wedding song and you can briefly see The Big Fugr getting ready to sing it in the backround during the ceremony.

It is strange looking back at this video and realizing how much we have grown up and changed since then. I look back at myself and think, hey, I looked pretty okay. But at the time I never thought so. Isn't that always the way? If I have changed this much in four years time it makes me wonder who I'll be in another four years...



10 comments:

bon said...

Speechless and weeping just a little.

Jenn said...

That was so nice. I love how happy you both are.....such a great couple!!
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to what tomorrow brings!

Just MJ said...

Sweet. Very sweet. Can't wait for the next one.

utmommy said...

It's always nice to go back and just remember!

Lynanne said...

So beautiful! I'm speechless too (and that's a rare event). Thank you so much for letting us get to know you better!

Dawnyel said...

A week of youtube from Mama D!? I'm so up for that! I can't wait to watch the wedding video, unfortunately I'm on a computer with NO sound....I'm not going to see it without...especially since you plugged the song!! :)

Mall Worker said...

Beautiful video! Thanl you so much for sharing :)

Jamie said...

What a great video! Very cool of you to share that with everyone.

You don't give yourself enough credit, You Tube is way easy, you can do it!!

Dawnyel said...

It was SO worth the wait! My cheeks hurt from smiling so much at that sweet video!! You can definately see how in LOVE you guys were...and I'm sure it's only gotten better since then! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet, sweet story. THanks for sharing.