Monday, August 21, 2006

A Wake Up Call

Holidays are officially over. Technically I don't go back until Thursday but the fact that Baby A and I kissed Dada goodbye this morning and we are on our own for the day means they are indeed, over.

I hope everyone that checked in enjoyed YouTube week. It really was a silly idea for me/us to try and do that while on holiday. I know that it doesn't have to be difficult – you can just grab a snippet of video and upload it. But you see, my husband and I are freaks. We must edit the video and possibly add music. This takes time. And patience. Patience tends to run low once the clock strikes 12 am which is usually when we would tackle the job. Staying up late was a trend. It was fun while it lasted but now we must get back to a normal bedtime!

Here a funny story regarding YouTube. Last week I receive an email notification that a comment was left on one of my videos. At first I am excited. Then I think, what if it's a negative comment? I'm glad that thought crossed my mind so that I wasn't too upset to see that, yes, the comment was negative. I was however, surprised that the comment had been left on a video that I hadn't posted on my blog. It was the first video that Peter uploaded when we signed up for YouTube. He uploaded it as a test. The video is another TKD video in which he edited together all of my board breaks from both my first and second degree black belt tests. He did it without my supervision and although I appreciated what he had done of course I had criticisms. I hate watching myself doing TKD on video. (except my second degree test, that wasn't so painful) My first degree board breaks didn't go so smoothly. And the three board power side kick footage he used from my second degree was from my first attempt in which I didn't break all of the boards. This is glaringly obvious to me and every time I watch it I think “Crap, I should have done that break the FIRST time!”

I never told him to take the video down. I didn't really think anyone would ever bother to look at it. Yet another example of my underestimation of the internet. According to YouTube it has presently been viewed a total of 93 times. Ug. And then to top it off I get this comment from “cooldudedan7” who informs me that I have “Horrible Technique!!!!!!!” Seven exclamation marks! Seven! So I replied to his comment. Agreeing with him, and thanking him for his comment (to sum up). But it bugged me. And he keeps sending me messages regarding my comment like “hello?” “What are you talking about?” and “What do you mean?” So I decide to Google 'cooldudedan7'. Low and behold I find that he is a compulsive negative comment maker. Especially on anything martial arts related. According to him everything 'sucks' is 'gay' or he uses profanity. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the 'cool dude' himself for opening up my eyes to the kind of people that are out there surfing the internet. It is good to be reminded every now and then!

So here is my “Horrible Technique!!!!!!!” in all it's glory. I didn't break the jumping front snap kick, fell after my flying side and twisted my ankle a bit (edited out), I didn't bring my hand back to my hip after my two board knife hand strike, my power side kick was okay, the last three were on my testing video except this is my first attempt at my three board power turning kick (which sucked). My 360 side kick and flying turning were pretty good I thought. I am sure that 'cooldudedan7' is a much better martial artist than I am but for some reason he doesn't have any videos of himself up. How odd. Maybe he's under contract or something.



Feel free to leave happy comments on my YouTube videos!

8 comments:

this single spark said...

What a sad life this Dan must lead.

Mall Worker said...

I'm so sorry that you've met your first internet troll! They really suck. It really is sad that these people exisit and find pleasure in being jerks.

I had my first experience on my 100th post when I posted my picture with Boo. Some troll had to inform me that I looked way older then 25. I got so upset I took the picture down and deleted his comment. Then it dawned on me that I was letting that little jerk win and put it back up. I left the comment deleted because I didn't want people feeding the trolls. They haven't come back yet, but I"m ready for them!

Jenn said...

At least you had yourself somewhat prepared for negative comments.
I like how Nikkie refers to them as trolls.

I think you look awesome!!

bon said...

Troll is actually a technical term for internet bottom feeders. Flamers are close cousins to trolls... both are examples of Haters.

I am sorry Mama D, and sadly... I bet this guy cannot do ANY freaking Martial Arts. THIS is why he has no videos up.

Frankly I thought the clip rocked the house... but my troll skilz are lacking.

Valarie said...

the first day back to real life is always hard. I enjoyed youtube week.

Dawnyel said...

Negative people SUCK!!!!!!! (Does that make me a sour-puss Sally!?)
I would LOVE to watch all of your youtube things in all of their glory, but my connection is SO slow I can't...unless I wait for an hour for it to load! Someday I swear I will watch them all!! Yes, I will! :)

about plantain: said...

You know he's just watched a ton of martial arts movies... and now reckon's he's an expert... probably has his arse cheeks fused to either his computer chair or a couch... and that's it... couldn't break a twig let alone boards...
Any form of martial art is difficult, disciplined, and extremely strenuous... so be proud that you've accomplished all you have... some inturdnerd troller will not bring you down!!

Lynanne said...

ColddudeDick7 must have a very sad life indeed. (oops, did I just mistype his name? pardon me!)

To me it looks like you did fine. No one is perfect. That's why you continue to learn and advance through the ranks. YOu wouldnt have a 2nd degree if your instructor didn't think you were qualified. Just ignore what that dork said!