Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Out of Sorts

I must say I am sitting here at the computer in absolute and total shock. My daughter, the sleeper iner woke up crying at around 7:30 this morning. 7:30. Crying. Neither of these are normal for her. I left her there for a while because generally if she wakes up crying she'll fall back asleep soon. She dozed but would spuratically cry. I sat my sorry behind up and commenced my morning milk pumping. Yes, I am still doing that. Would someone please put me out of my misery. Anyway, after I was finished I went to get her. She still seemed very tired. I took her to our bed and we cuddled and she nursed. When she was done she's usually happy, she was still unhappy and crying. I tried laying down with her in bed, no dice. She sat on my lap and sucked her thumb. Finally I tried nursing her again and she went back to sleep. So I put her back to bed at 9:15. That's crazy.

I realize I am as much a slave to routine as she is. I'm all thrown off. We should be finishing breakfast around now and getting ready to have a play. Instead I'm sitting here writing. When will she wake up? Will she still have an afternoon nap? Is this going to mess her up for the rest of the week? Oh please, not this week. This is the week I work on Friday for the first time and she goes to the sitter. Please don't let this be the week that the world turns upside down. Deep breaths.

I'm fairly certain her teeth are the culprit. They are still trying to come up. The only tooth she has is practically all the way in as you could see from yesterdays picture and her one toothed smile. I have been told that teeth come in pairs. Not in her case. Am I surprised that her teeth are (technically) late coming, came in the wrong order and not in a pair? Not really. This is my daughter we are talking about here. I'm just tired of seeing her in so much pain seemingly for nothing since there are no new teeth is sight. I have seriously thought about taking her to the dentist. If nothing else maybe he could reassure me that everything is 'normal' and that her teeth will indeed eventually come in. I keep worrying that something is wrong in there. Inside her gums. That her teeth are sideways or something and unable to come through the gums. That if only I got them checked out I could have saved my baby all this torturous pain.

I sound crazy don't I? This is what motherhood has reduced me to. A raving lunatic with delusions that her something is horribly wrong with her daughter's mouth, that she is destined to have one tooth forever and will be the only 3 year old with dentures.

8 comments:

Sugarmama said...

My 16-month old has been getting a molar, I've just discovered. Which goes a long way towards explaining why she's been sleeping so, SO horribly lately. Hang in there. And are you against giving her baby ibuprofen? This helps my Bean get through the first 5-6 hours of the night uninterrupted if I give it to her right before bed. (But if you're doing this already, please ignore my condescending, obvious advice.)

bon said...

Meh... we are feeling your pain over here, at least I HOPE that we will get us a new tooth out of the anguish and horror AND lovely new ear infection.

The teeth? It's my understanding that the "pair" thing and the "order" thing is just a "usually" thing.

this single spark said...

I didn't have hair until I was 2. My mom was convinced that she was doomed to have a bald daughter. And look at me now. Will be in next Wednesday so you can trim my luxurious locks!

Of course, growing hair is a lot less painful than cutting teeth. Hope Baby A has lots of chompers soon so you can both feel better.

Lynanne said...

Ella still only has 2 teeth. She's just now cutting her third and fourth teeth on top - a side tooth and a center tooth...NOT side by side. She's going to look like a jack-o-lantern just in time for halloween. My youngest son was really late on cutting teeth also. Then they all hit at once. Hang in there and throw the infant handbook out the window!

Valarie said...

I'm sure she's fine. If you weren't a raving lunatic about something, you wouldn't be a mom.

Andrew McAllister said...

At that age, routine is definitely good. You'll get back to it, I'm sure.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

Dawnyel said...

I would say, "Don't worry, she'll get them when she does..." but it wouldn't be even worth it...If you're worried about her, take her to her doctor so they can tell you whether to worry or not! I hope it all works out for you and her!
I totally missed the last post...so I read and caught up! Those pics are adorable! (Did you get a haircut? Cuz I don't remember bangs before!) Anyway...they were ALL beautiful! :)

about plantain: said...

no teeth = no biting boobies with teeth!