Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Three Day Birthday Extravaganza!

Is everyone dying to hear about my birthday? Oh well, I'll tell you anyway. Friday night was my 'Party'. I am notorious for building things up in my head so much that the actual thing itself almost never lives up to my fantasy. The only thing this party was missing was 'Karaoke Revolution'. I was SO looking forward to it. Unfortunately my husband thought it had been taken care of and the wonderful host and hostess of the party were busy doing other things, like cleaning and baking cakes. I admit, I was disappointed but I carried on. Another thing that sucks about being told to butt out in regards to planning your party is that people get missed. I was very sad that my husband forgot to tell Nikkie about the party. She has helped me celebrate at least a couple of birthdays already I think! When we got home on Friday night I received a lovely telephone message from her wishing me a Happy Birthday, Peter and I both kicked ourselves when we realized what he had (or had not) done.




So the Party consisted of Pizza, Bubbly Non-Alcoholic Beverages and two different kinds of homemade cake! There were 14 adult guests and 4 babies. The joint was hoppin'! I honestly had a difficult time visiting with everyone, there were so many people. It almost felt like my wedding, minus about 85 people. I was really touched that so many people came to celebrate with me. Also for the trouble it took to plan it and host it. It was fun while it lasted but ended rather early since most of the guests had babies to get home to bed, including us. And I also had to work on Saturday, my actual date of birth.





One thing I hate about celebrating my birthday early is that the actual day can be a bit of a let down. Miss A wanted to be the first to wish me a happy birthday and woke me up with the sound of her screaming from her room at around 12:30. About an hour after we had gone to bed. Being woken up one hour after you have fallen asleep has to be my least favorite time. Two hours doesn't seem as bad, but one... She didn't really want to nurse, didn't want to cuddle. I was at a bit of a loss. A dose of Tylenol and a frozen wash cloth seemed to eventually do the trick. A little more nursing and back to dreamland. Only one hour of sleep that I would miss.

We had nothing special planned on Saturday. My darling husband gave me my gift which was a Willow Tree Family Ornament. It depicts a Father, Mother and two children. He assured me there was “no pressure”. My other gift was the first season of 'Lost'. This is one of our favorite shows. I was, of course, thrilled with my gift and he received many kisses of gratitude from me. I had a nice, manageable day at work and finished at a decent time. Picked up A from my sister's house and went home. We had a difficult time deciding what to have for supper but settled on going to pick up Pitas. Miss A who skipped her afternoon nap (because she is one of the most stubborn kids you will ever meet and refuses to sleep anywhere except her own bed) fell asleep on the way home at 7:00 pm. Because I am a kind and generous Mama I decided to let her sleep for exactly one half of an hour. Naps are not to be taken at 7:00 pm unless you are a newborn who does nothing but eat, void and sleep. It gave us a chance to eat our Pitas. We then had an unexpected visitor. A friend whose band was playing in town decided to stop in between sets. We had a nice visit, he took us out for ice cream and by the time he left it was bath time. Once Little A was tucked in for the night Papa D and I settled in to watch the movie “Blow Dry”. It's a pretty funny flick and I'm happy I have the kind of husband who appreciates that kind of movie.

And finally on Sunday my mother had us, my brother and his family, my sister and my niece over for supper. The food was delicious and the company, entertaining. For dessert my mom made Saskatoon Pie, my favorite. I also forgot to mention that my mom gave me birthday money on Friday morning. My last Friday off. I packed Baby A into the car and we headed to the mall. I bought five new shirts with my birthday money. Flattering shirts. Pretty shirts. I was getting a little tired of wearing the same three ones that I have been wearing since my last shopping excursion. Since I'll be working more, I'll need them.

That about covers it. I am thirty. It says so in my profile. I feel loved both in real life and in blogland. It is good to be loved.

I may not be looking any older but someone certainly is!



7 comments:

bon said...

I am DYING over the cuteness of the wee poncho... EEK!

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad that you had a great Birthday weekend! Little A is just looking absolutly georgeous with each new photo you share of her!!

beth said...

What is that gorgeous poncho she is wearing?! Uh, love it! Love karaoke revolution too! And Hubby and I have been watching the first season of Lost for the first time lately.

Glad you had a hoppin' party.

Tracy said...

happy belated bday! welcome to the 30s - it really just keeps getting better - trust me! love love that little poncho - man, she is growing up fast!

Valarie said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday and it helped smooth the transition into your 30's.

about plantain: said...

Please excuse my ignorance.. but what the bloody hell is saskatoon pie?

Anonymous said...

Happy 30th Mama D! I turn 29 in a few weeks... so I kinda know how that feeling goes.

Great cake, such a cute outfit!!!