Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mama D Does TaeKwon Do

Apparently YouTube is doing some work over there. It doesn't say how long it will be down but hopefully it will be back up shortly. I obviously picked the perfect time to do a YouTube week. Sheesh. We are going away for the night so I'll be posting a little later tomorrow.

Any of you who know me or have been reading a while, know that I do TKD. Not only that but I love it. Since I went to my first class over 10 years ago it has been in my blood. It will always be a part of who I am.

I started TKD when I was 18 and at 21 I tore my ACL in my knee. Over the next four years I had three surgeries, a scope, an ACL reconstruction and another scope. I attained my first degree black belt between surgery #2 and #3. My surgeon suggested after my last surgery that I should perhaps, give up TKD. I tried. It only seemed sensible. I was obviously not cut out for it, otherwise I wouldn't have injured my knee so badly. So I did other things, lifted weights, swam, did aerobics. When my urge to hit stuff again became too overwhelming to ignore I joined a boxing club. It just wasn't the same. I missed TKD too much. I decided to go back and 'take it easy'. It felt good, my knee felt strong. I kept training and eventually trained towards my second degree black belt. That test meant more to me than anything I had accomplished up until then. After everything that had happened with my knee I thought I'd have to quit and never believed that I would ever test again.

But I did. The test went so much better than I ever could have imagined. While doing my patterns I literally felt as if I was almost outside of myself. I was conscious of my heart beating, my breaths. My body was doing what it was supposed to do but it felt like it was in autopilot. Everything else went smoothly and I was thrilled. My self defence routine was against two people since as a 2nd Degree I am supposed to be able to defend myself against two people. AT the end of the routine one of my partners performs three different knife attacks which I must defend against. It felt so good to do all of my board breaks since they aren't something we practice often. They are done at the end of the test. If you watch me my body language shows my increasing giddyness with each break.

It was fun putting this video together. I usually have a difficult time watching myself do TKD on tape. I am highly critical of myself and pick everything apart. I can actually stand to watch this and don't criticize myself too much. YouTube always seems to mess up sound so my breathing is all over the place and you'll see the boards break and then hear the crack. Soundtrack compliments of Bjork and Jamiroquai.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make TKD sound so mesmerizing and entrancing. I've always wanted to do something like that but never had the opportunity. I wonder how possible it is to take it up as an adult here in town.

Poppins/Sarah

Lynanne said...

It only makes sense that TKD would make your knee stronger and more flexible as long as you were careful to support it while it healed. Silly doctors probably didn’t know how good TKD is for flexibility and strength.

I watched your test with great fascination. Once upon a time I did TKD also, though I had to give up at high blue belt when I was pregnant with my first son. You could totally kick my butt (literally!) Actually, the real reason I quit is because I’m such a coward when it comes to sparring. I kept saying “oops, sorry, are you ok?” when I made contact with someone. ROFL. My brother has his 2nd dan, but I think we must have done the “other” type of TKD (WTF/Olympic-style) because I don’t recognize many of your forms. It’s been a long time though. Oh how I miss it.

Thank you again for sharing – you obviously are very talented! I love the board breaking. Yea for Girl Power!

this single spark said...

I think I was there cheering you on...

Very cool and very proud of you. Glad you've gone back.

TweedleDea said...

HI there. I was compelled to say something! That was awesome! I lived in Korea for a couple years ago, and I so wanted to take TKD there, but I worked too much, and now that I am back in North America I haven't done it. BUt I do know what it's like to leave something you love, and feel compelled to go back to it. I played rugby for years, I left, went back, and then retired. I've recently started playing again. I love it.

Jenn said...

Wow. That was impressive. I am so impressed. Wow.
I can't believe they actually came at you with a big stick!! And was that a REAL knife?? Awesome.
The board breaking was so cool too.
That really is something to be proud of.
I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to snatch your purse! :)

about plantain: said...

That was FKN awesome!

bon said...

HOLY SMOKES!

1. I was watching feeling tense (don'tmessupdon'tmessup!) and then you started fighting the two people! EEEP!

2. The kicking? whoah!

3. The breaking of stuff? It was too cool, plus so fun to see how amped you were.

4. Pretty and strong. Graceful and straight up bad a$$! That's some Mama D!

Dawnyel said...

WOW! I definately don't want to run into you in a dark alley!! YIKES!! I'm totally impressed! Does Peter ever fear sneaking up behind you with a squeeze!? :)

beth said...

Is Youtube still down? I can't see the video and I really want to! I always love hearing about your TKD - now I want to see it.

Sugarmama said...

Wow! I'm not sure what I expected TKD to look like, but your test wasn't quite what I thought it would be. You're so graceful! And it looks like such a workout, too!

Sugarmama said...

Wow! I'm not sure what I expected TKD to look like, but your test wasn't quite what I thought it would be. You're so graceful! And it looks like such a workout, too!

Mall Worker said...

That was an exciting video! Thanks for sharing it!