Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Flickr

Did anyone notice my new Flickr Badge on the sidebar? Or the 'My Flicker' link? That's right, I did it. Finally. I joined Flickr. I have been wanting to for a while. I had to keep asking myself why? I can upload my photos onto my blog if I want to. So what was the reason. Honestly, I love those fancy badges with the little slide show. It's so cool. And I like the idea of being able to comment on my bloggy buddies photos. It's all about community, man.

Another thing I want to do is sign up for ONE. Another fantastic find through 'The Shape of a Mother'. This woman Darshani posted and linked to picture montages of her two daughters. Her youngest has had some serious health problems. I watched these montages and just cried, they are so beautiful. She also has a lovely website in which she documents her journey with her daughters health condition. Very interesting. I showed Peter the site and we both went to bed and prayed to thank God for blessing us with such a healthy child. To help us to always be grateful for what we have and to not take things for granted. I think Darshani is an unbelievable mother and an amazing person. Her post on 'The Shape of a Mother' was eloquent and profound. I was thankful to have had the opportunity to read it.

So, what are you waiting for? Go check out my Flickr. And you really have to check out that post and those montages. I dare you not to cry, I dare you. Then after you're done crying come back and tell me about it.

P.S. I seemed to have hit a nerve yesterday referring to myself as 'old'. For those of you lovely people who are in fact, older than I am, please know I was not referring to yourselves as being old. I only feel old in the context of being repeatedly punched in the face by an 18 year old girl. That sucked. I used to be the puncher, not the punchee. Anyway I decided my getting the crap beaten out of me was not because I'm old but because I hadn't eaten before class and also because I haven't sparred much since we began trying to conceive. I fully intend to be more 'on my game' next week and dish out some punishment. Or, at the very least keep my other eye from being blackened as well. Till next time, spring chickens.

5 comments:

about plantain: said...

Ryan and I dealt with reflux from about 3 weeks old till about 5 months old.
It was very upsetting to see him projectile vomit a whole precious load of milk onto the floor. He never seemed in pain, although he would randomly do the 'arching' thing, and a lot of gagging and coughing,but that was the thing that was so frustrating...he just wasn't your textbook case. He would sometimes go 3 days to a week without throwing up... sometimes he'd throw up 3 times in a day. I didn't know if it was reflux... if I was feeding him too often... if he was allergic to cow milk proteins or soy coming through my milk. I tried an ellimination diet for a couple of months but it didn't seem to make a difference and it wasn't that great for me to not have cows milk or soy because I'm a vegetarian. It was so annoying to be told ..."Oh, it's just a little reflux... he'll grow out of it".
I would scour the internet looking for info. alot of it was helpful... there are Yahoo groups for breastfed reflux babies and alot of other forums... but as much as I researched it was still just all a mystery.
For whatever reason he no longer has this problem... and I finally have found breastfeeding to be truely wonderful - he hasn't vomited in about two months... except for once about a week ago.
Darshani's journal is amazing... I related especially to her frustration of dealing with medical professionals. It's almost as if the parent through trial and error, alot of google searches, and just knowing their kids... is a better diagnostician in these circumstances.
Again... I hated that my concerns were poo pooed away as ... "just a little reflux"... that may be the case but it made it no less distressing to see Ryan vomiting on a daily basis.
I guess I (and he) was just lucky that he was a 'happy spitter' and didn't have to deal with the horrors of a feeding tube and surgery.

Besides all that ... she's got some god-dang gorgeous kids!
And I did get a little weepy...especially at the shots of the two girls together...made me miss my sister.

Jenn said...

I like your pictures on the Flickr. The one of Baby A by the pool is soooo cute!!
Is the pregnant picture from the day you were in labor? You've got the tight-lipped smile that you were telling me about. :)
There's so much to learn in the blogging world.....I like the Flickr idea. Just may have to get one myself!

Mall Worker said...

Your flicker photos are just darling! Maybe one day I'll get over my paranoia!!

DadGuy said...

mmmm... flikr.....

Anonymous said...

Cool! Glad you signed up! I put my photos in the Members Area on my site so if you want to see any of mine that is where they are! LOL