Monday, July 24, 2006

My National Treasure



Meet the Beaver, Canada's National Animal. Beavers are the largest rodent in North America. They are slow on land but are exceptional swimmers. They use their long flat tails as a rudder in the water or to slap on the surface to warn other beavers of danger. Most importantly, the beaver has long, sharp and strong incisors which enable them to gnaw wood and even fall large trees. The Beaver appears on our 5 Cent coin, many T shirts and is also available in the stuffed toy variety.



My daughter is nothing, if not patriotic. She is already taken with our national treasure and has decided to emulate it. Although I encourage her patriotism as well as her enthusiasm towards new hobbies, I would appreciate it if she would actually find a tree to chew on... Rather than her crib.






I am reminding myself that I wanted her to get teeth. I guess I wasn't expecting the destruction that has followed. I'm not too concerned. That crib is going to be around for at least one more kidlet. When we're all through with it I could likely sand the damaged areas down and touch up the stain. Or if I decide to be sentimental and keep it I'll always have that gnawed area as a reminder of my sweet Baby A and her very first, and very sharp tooth.

*Also, I'm happy to say that she has been very gentle with Mama. She's sticking to gnawing wood, not me. Thank the Good Lord in Heaven!!

8 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Boo does the same things, he's left gnaw marks on all of my coffee tables! I'm very happy for you that she is being gentle with you! Gnawing on da mama is NOT fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mama D, I have seen your comments on other blogs and finally followed the links. I have linked your Say What? game on my sidebar, Let me know if that's ok with you.

Dawnyel said...

You're so funny!! I can't believe you compared your daughter to a beaver....although, she could give one a run for its money with those teeth marks! :) Good luck on keeping the sawdust diapers to a minimum!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! All that from one tooth? I wish my kid gnawed on his crib. He thinks my nips are more fun. Bad boy.

utmommy said...

I've got many chewed up things in my house too. Not from a beaver, but from my dear little ones.

Blackeyedsue said...

I didn't know the Beaver was a rodent.

That is too funny that she gnawed the crib. I am glad you documented it for her when she is older.

Lynanne said...

Mama D you are hilarious! (and I couldn’t help snickering about the "sawdust diapers") Beavers are very cute and cuddly looking so I guess the analogy fits. :)

I always laugh that they put the plastic "teething guards" on just the rails. What a relief that she hasn't given you a nip yet. Be prepared for her to do it in a nice quite place so your yelps will be heard by all around you. I once uttered a mild curse...oops.

mamashine said...

The crib I used when I was a baby looks exactly like that. It's still up to code and I used it when my daughter was little, and it made me smile every time to imagine my mom tearing her hair out because I chewed the crib all up. :)