Sunday, July 16, 2006

Domination

As I predicted, The Big Fugr won Say WHAT? again this week. I swear I didn't pick a quote that I was sure he would know, he's just that good at remembering movie dialog. Although I did decide to shake things up a bit this week and pick an 80's quote from a horror movie. And since The Big Fugr is a huge fan of horror flicks I figured he'd know it. So, again Congratulations Mr. Fugr. Next week I'll have to pick a sappy girlie movie that you'll never know.



I admit, I used to be a fan of horror movies. I say used to, because I think that the part of me that enjoyed being freaked out is broken. Permanently. I discovered this while I was pregnant. My husband and I watched “The Grudge” with our friends. I say watched but does peeking through the holes in a afgahan count? I was terrified. I'm chalking it up to mama instincts or hormones or something. I just don't enjoy being afraid the way I used to.

I actually have a good story involving The Big Fugr and our friend and former roommate. We were watching “Jeepers Creepers” and I was sitting in between them on a futon. In between two big, strong guys. Safe as could be. There was a particularly scary, jumpy part of the movie which caused me to yell and simultaneously lift my hands in the air and smack them right back down again on each of their legs. I believe it sounded something like this. “AHHH! Slap!” Which caught them both off guard, startled them (I won't say scared cause they're tough guys) and caused them to use profanity. See, that's good fun right there. Good fun I used to occasionally enjoy. Not anymore. I just can't do it.








But I will talk a little bit about the movie I chose the quote from. “Nightmare on Elm Street”. Before 21 Jump Street Johnny Depp was on Elm Street. Cute as ever. Look how skinny he is. As you can see his bed ate him and that is how he died. Tragic. I did love this movie series. I dig Wes Craven's sense of humor. In my opinion, the first “Scream” movie is responsible for the horror movie genre's comeback. I also included pictures from “Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Dream Warriors”. It was my favorite of the bunch. Because they unite and kick Freddy's butt. Of course, he comes back but you know, the bad guys in these flicks always do. Look at little Patricia Arquette. I'd just like to say she has the BEST horror movie scream ever. I don't watch “Medium” so I don't know if they make good use of that scream, but they should. The boy is also from Dream Warriors. I had a crush on him. I was sad that his death was a result of his adolescent hormones running a muck.
Hopefully I haven't lost the respect of all the mamas out there who abhor horror. It's not everyones thing. I get that. I guess it's not my thing anymore either. I've got too many diapers to change anyway...





4 comments:

Dawnyel said...

I have the opposite thing with horror movies...I laugh at their attempts at scaring us. Well, I'm actually only that way when I'm pregnant. We saw Final Destination, and I laughed SO hard. After I had Cam I went to see it again, and I was TOTALLY freaked out...couldn't watch the movie the whole way thru! (I'm such a wannie!) Anyway, I've just never seen that movie...but man, Johnny Depp was WAY cute! :)

Lynanne said...

I used to devour every horror book and movie I could read and watch. We didn’t have cable but I did a lot of babysitting and after the kids were in bed I watched show after show on HBO and Cinemax. They scared the bejebers out of me, but I was addicted. :)

I had exactly the same thing happen after I had kids. The movie Signs (even though it was extremely corny in an old-fashioned horror movie way) about did me in. I had to leave the room every time the trailers for Panic Room or Flightplan came on. I could never dream of seeing the actual movies! (my husband just told me the latter two are considered thrillers and not horror, but whatever, I still can’t watch them! :))

Anonymous said...

Dang..I don't watch horror movies....I like a good ghost one tho...but not gore. I'm still comin' back D!!

bon said...

The inability to watch the skeery movies or read the skeery books was already pretty well established before I got preggers. It is a done deal now.

Ring?- nope
Grudge?- uh uh!
I did go and see that Nicloe Kidman ghost show because it came so highly reccommended, but thats about it.

and the waxing? sigh... last time no problem... this time I ended up with a scab on my eyebrow. meh.