Sunday, July 30, 2006

And Finally... A Winner!

This is a first for my Say WHAT? game. There were no correct guesses. In fact, there were no guesses at all. Peter thought that this one would be easy because he thought it had been a popular movie and that a lot of people would have seen it. I guess it wasn't memorable. Or at least the dialog I chose for the quote wasn't.

CORRECTION: AS I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING THIS KEP FROM GIANT STEPS IN CHILDCARE WON!! YAY! WAY TO GO KEP!



My family was hanging out with The Big Fugr last night and I happen to know that he knew this quote as well. Big surprise. Being the special person that he is he refrained from guessing because he wanted to give everyone else a chance. This week he gave everyone else a chance to not win. I hope next weeks quote will be easier and we will have a winner. Bon gave me a good idea for the game and if I can get it together it might be ready for the winner of next weeks game. Anyway, on with the show...

This week's quote that rhymed with Mess and Hero was... 'Less than Zero'. It starred Andrew McCarthy, Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Gertz. Even though this movie didn't seem to be popular with any of my commenters I actually liked it quite a lot. I enjoyed most of the soundtrack, the story and Robert Downey Jr. I admit it, when he died at the end I cried like a baby. His character was the kind of person I would have been drawn to as a young teen. I would want to save him. I consider myself lucky that no one ever died of a drug over dose in my car in highschool actually...







I didn't read the book until several years later. I could hardly believe that the movie had been based on the book at all. It is completely devoid of any compassion or feeling. None of the characters are likable therefore you don't care what they do or what happens to them. Jullian's character doesn't die at the end and the way it was written, you wouldn't care if he did anyway. It was written by Bret Easton Ellis who wrote 'American Psycho' one of the most violent books ever printed. It was trendy and I tried to read it. I couldn't do it. It was written the same awful way only with piles of violence added in. I think it's point was to demonstrate the shallow, self absorbed lifestyle of yuppies in the eighties. Or something. I think it's pure evil. But I digress.

My watching the movie as a kid had nothing to do with either book. It definitely made me more afraid of drugs than I already was. I didn't want to go into horrible debt, froth at the mouth, become a prostitute or die in anyone's red convertible. If nothing else this movie made me stay away from blow. It was more disturbing than any after school special I'd ever seen.

5 comments:

about plantain: said...

I never actually saw this movie... but the quote seemed so familiar.... jeez look how young they all look!

mamashine said...

My husband likes this movie. He made me watch it once and it was pretty crazy. I've tried to read a couple things by Ellis and I can't get into them at all.

I do a Friday movie game too, on my other blog. Come play! I found yours through Total Mom Haircut.

Dawnyel said...

Never even HEARD of that movie, but I may have to look at some of those movies you've put up...I think I've only ever seen 2 of them....am I a big loser or what!?

Anonymous said...

You know..I was going to guess that...but for some reason I did not. I just clicked away frustrated at myself for not knowing. Next time..I will answers right or wrong!!!

bon said...

First... wow! The beautiful and funny Plantain is commenting on your blog! Second, I read the book in High School because I ran with a Uber-sophisticated and intellectual set and everyone who was cool read it and loved it and tried to live it.

I was horrified that my friends thought this was anything but a case study in borderline psychopathic kids suffering a total disconnect from society. I was so put off from reading the book that I couldn't even tell you why I saw the movie. Probably Robert Downey Jr. and that Pretty in Pink kid.... wee hotties, them! To be fair, I was so disturbed by the book that it's possible the movie was pretty good, but my prejudices get in the way.