Sunday, September 03, 2006

Nice to Meet You and Congratulations!

Although I love it when someone I know wins Say WHAT? I also think it is super cool when someone who I don't know and has never commented before wins. This way I am introduced to someone new, check out their blog and add it to my ridiculously long list of blogs that I want to read regularly. (If only there was more time...) Such was the case this week when Brony from Parenting with a mental illness guessed the 80's quote was from 'Flashdance'. I referenced 'Flashdance' this week and I wondered if that would give my quote away. Apparently not.



I have a vivid memory of seeing this movie. I remember begging my mother to take me to 'Footloose' which was playing as a double bill along with 'Flashdance'. Unfortunately 'Flashdance' was playing first. The issue was not that each of those movie's content was TOTALLY inappropriate for a seven year old, but that they were playing on a school night. I must have been terribly obnoxious because my mother finally agreed to take me. (I seriously can't believe my mother took me to see a movie about an exotic dancer at the age of seven. I think this says a lot about my upbringing.) I only saw about half of 'Footloose' because it was getting ridiculously late and my mother insisted that she must get me home to bed. (So I could dream about growing up to become an exotic dancer.) Of course I have since seen the rest of 'Footloose'. Several times.



Looking back I realize that 'Flashdance' wasn't a totally bad influence on me. Although 'Alex' was a sexually explicit, I mean artsy, dancer by night, she was a welder by day. A very unconventional job for a woman in the 80's. Although she had a terrible potty mouth and was sleeping with her much older boss she was also tough, feisty and didn't put up with no crap from nobody. She rode her ten speed everywhere and most of all she was an amazing dancer. (or at least her double was) So she wasn't a totally crappy role model for a seven year old girl. Except for maybe, the leg warmers.

I think I was always obsessed with anything dance related. I also remember that more than anything in the world I wanted to be a 'Solid Gold Dancer' when I grew up. I liked everything about them. Their dancing, their hair, their flashy outfits. What was not to love? Um... yeah, I was weird. They were cool back then though. They were Da Bomb! I hardly remember the show actually. Only that I wanted to be one of their dancers.



Ah, writing about this one has brought back a lot of memories. I must now go and reminisce about all the other totally inappropriate stuff I was exposed to at an early age. Ta ta.

6 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I totally forgot about Solid Gold! I wanted to be a dancer on that show too!

Jenn said...

Funny you should mention inappropriate shows for kids. I was just thinking the other day about watching Dirty Dancing when I was a kid. I don't know how old I was but my sister and I watched it over and over again. Another movie that is probably not suitable for young girls. But did we ever have a crush on Patrick Swayze!

I'll have to admit that I've never seen Flashdance.

beth said...

I was totally traumatized when I realized later that she had a double do the dancing. And they don't look the same AT ALL.

Thank you for reminding me of my love for the Solid Gold Dancers.

Dawnyel said...

Never seen that movie...but now that you've given the ENTIRE thing in your post...maybe I won't have too! :)
I'm sure it was the pestering from your mom that made it so you could see it...have you had that pestering happen to you yet? If you haven't then you wouldn't quite understand the simple relief that can come from giving into the whining! :D

BlondeBrony said...

Thank you so much for the great game. I am so happy to have found your blog. I too wish there was more time to read them all.

I love the story behind the movie. It's so great to be able to hold on to such wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

I loved Flashdance, but I totally don't remember her being an exotic dancer or any of those other things *lol*. I guess I was not paying much attention. Looking back at the movies my mom allowed me to watch is just rather jaw dropping. Nothing was off limits.