Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Work It Out

Yet again I am finding myself frustrated with what I consider to be a lack of exercise in my life. Though I continue to pay for a gym membership I have not gone in weeks. I have hit another wall. I like to go to classes, I don't care what the class is. It could be hip hop aerobics while wrestling a crocodile, I just want to go to a class! The problem the times 9:30 (too early), 12:05 (Hello? Lunch time? Followed by nap time. Do I really want to take a hungry/cranky baby, I mean toddler to the gym?) 5:30. Now 5:30 could almost work. On Monday and Tuesday. The problem? I am going to a Yoga class Monday nights and play Volleyball on Tuesday nights. So should I go work out for an hour and then rush to my next workout? Would I be too tired? Will my husband want to kill me for abandoning him and Miss A for two hours? Probably.

Part of me says if you REALLY wanted to work out then you'd find a way. I do. There are no words to explain how much I really want to work out. I think about it all the time. Obsess might be a better word. I lay awake in bed trying to think of ways around the road blocks but I come up with nothing. I could get up at six and go to the gym from 6:30 – 7:30 and be home before Papa D leaves for work and Miss A wakes up. The thought of getting up that early makes me want to run into traffic. Besides, there are no classes at that time and if I was going to the gym to do the hamster on a wheel thing I could go during the day at a convenient time for both A and I. I cannot express how much I despise using the machines. Thirty minutes on a treadmill, cross trainer or stepper feels like a lifetime to me. I do love to exercise but I have a rule. If it's not fun, or if you hate it, don't do it. That is why I do not jog. It seems like good exercise and it's free but every single time I do it I hate every second. I have friends who enjoy running. To them I say “Good for you!” because the enjoy it. But I won't violate my fun policy.

This is why I do TKD. (yes, I actually enjoy being punched in the face, mostly) Why I played ball, why I'm doing Yoga and playing volleyball. It's all fun. I just want to go to a class with some other people and work out in a group environment without having to worry about my daughter. I don't think this is too much to ask for.

I think other people might disagree. When I've sometimes expressed my desire to do more I have often been met with the response “You are a new mom, you can't do everything.” That statement is so very true. It seems that people think I'm being selfish for wanting to get more exercise. The truth is I want to do it for my family as well as myself. So that my husband won't have to listen to me complain about how I look and my baby has a happier Mama with a better self image, a clearer mind and a better state of being.

I'm hoping that I can figure something out soon. It has really been plaguing me. I don't suppose this helped any. The sad part is how badly I want to do it and how hard it seems to be to make it happen.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I love your fun exercise policy. I do not enjoy exercising but maybe it's the whole not-fun thing for me too!

Bring Miss A over to my house for lunch a couple of times a week and skidaddle over to the gym. I don't mind, you have a darling daughter and you and I might even get a visit in too!!

I'm serious, call me.

Lynanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynanne said...

...I'm such an idiot, I cant even edit my own comment without goofing it up sorry, let me try again...

I can't go to the gym and work out for the very reason you mentioned - I'd rather stab a red-hot poker in my eye than face the tedium of feeling like a hamster on the treadmill, etc. I was only able to keep swimming because I could listen to music or podcasts while I swam laps. Lately, I haven't even been doing that much.

Currently, my only exercise is walking with a good friend. We walk 5 miles several times a week. I'd never be able to do that on my own but the time flies by when I’m exercising my jaw muscles (I call it socializing :) ). Do you know any other moms that you could walk with during the day or in the evening (perhaps walking at a mall when it gets too cold to walk outside?)

You shouldn't feel bad for wanting time to yourself to exercise. Not only does exercise have physical benefits but it also boosts your energy level and emotional well-being. By taking the time for yourself, you are giving back to you family by being happier and healthier.

That said, you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself, either. It sounds like you already are physically active at least 2 days a week. I’m guessing you’re on your feet moving while at work also. It may not be the intensity of exercise that you’d like, but I certainly wouldn’t call it a lack of exercise.

Oh, and don’t let the physician get to you. Having a child is hard on your body. It sounds like you had a very rough time in the early months. Just finding time to shower was probably a luxury. It will take time to get your body back to the shape that you want it and it will probably take more than a year. It's different for every woman. Sometimes physicians forget that.

bon said...

NO! Never feel guilty or quit trying to find that time and place for excercising... I'm jammed in the same sort of spot you're in, except screwier with a total of three naps needing to happen at different times ARGH!
I went ahead and let my gym membership go, just having all three healthy enough to go to the gym nursery was enough of a crap shoot, and everytime we went, someone picked up a bug. Yeeesh! Haven't figured it out, but in my book it's sort of a "mother's rights" issue.

My WV is gocdbzr ( go see the bazarre)

Mall Worker said...

I totally subscribe to your if its not fun excerice don't do it. I'm having a similar problem with doing excerise. I just can't find the time to do it! I love doing pilaties and I have a great dvd for it, but I only have whacko times a day to do it! It is a pian in the butt!

Dawnyel said...

I like you're rule for excersise...my problem?? I just DON'T do it! I would totally do the early morning thing, but I can see the problems there too! I'm sorry Ican't help you out, but I'm here if you want to vent some more! :)

BlondeBrony said...

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. We all struggle at some point. Do you have a friend that you can workout with? I know the buddy system has worked for me in the past.

If a gym doesn't work, what else might? Doing stairs at home, dancing while you mop...

I do however think it important for you to get a "me break." Never feel guilty about that. Time for yourself will make you a better mom.