Thursday, April 20, 2006

6 Weird Things

I survived. Must have been a 24 hour stomach flu. Wow! It was very unfun. Today is a new day, I feel pretty much normal, the sun is shining and my daughter is happily playing next to me in her exersaucer. Things are good. 'The Mama' tagged me on Monday. My task is to tell you 6 weird things about me. I think my weirdness comes through here in this blog every post. Getting pregnant, spending several months feeling terrible and vomiting daily, giving birth, getting hardly any sleep for weeks on end and having a tiny human being be dependent on you for their survival is all very weird. In any case here are six more weird things about me.

1.I am a tomboy. Not in a completely usual way. I'm not a girly-girl at all. But I do wear makeup (mostly for work), I like to do my hair (I like doing others hair better) and occasionally I even wear 'cute' things to bed rather than my standard t-shirt and pj bottoms. Here are some standard tomboyish things about me. I rarely wear nail polish. I love cars, I can identify the make and model of most cars upon a split second glance. I don't wear pink (though I dress my daughter in it almost daily. ?). I don't wear earings or any jewelry other than my wedding rings and my watch (which is a men's watch).

Now some really boyish thing about me. I love to play video games. I always have. I used to play arcade games with my guy friends as a kid. Not only did I play with them, I wanted to be better than them. The guys I played with were very talented so I rarely beat them but it only made me try harder. I didn't know any other girls my age who played arcade games. This love of video games has never gone away and I am still quite good at them although I don't have much time to play anymore. Peter and I play Unreal Tournament together when we get a chance. The other extremely boyish thing about me is that I love to fight. I think it started when I was a kid and watched wrestling with my older brother “Go Hogan, go!” I loved wrestling with my brother and although he was ten years older and I had no chance of beating him I always believed that I could. He would get me in headlock after headlock and I would 'give up' and as soon as he let me go I'd pounce on him again, determined to make him plead for me to let him out of the wicked submission hold I hoped to get him into. This love lay dormant for a while until I began TaeKwon Do. I actually started it to get some exercise and to learn self defense. Then I went to a competition. I still remember how good it felt to have my arm put up in the air by the referee when I won my first sparring match. I was hooked. Don't get me wrong. I love all other aspects of TaeKwon Do. The patterns, kicks and step sparring. But when I strap on my sparring gear and put in my mouth guard I feel electrified. I want to win. It's the only way to fight, in a controlled and safe environment. I love the feeling of my feet and hands slapping against my opponent. I even love it when I get hit pretty hard because it reminds me that I am tough and that I can get hit and be okay. I miss not being in TaeKwon Do right now. The other day when I was cleaning the bathroom I accidentally hit my lip on the sink when I bent down. I had a blood blister and a fat lip. When I showed Peter he winced and asked me if I was alright. I grinned and told him I was. “But you know what is really sick?” I asked him. “What?” “Having a fat lip makes me miss TaeKwon Do and the feeling of getting hit in the face.” He rolled his eyes and laughed at me. He finds it difficult to comprehend this part of who I am. I think most people do but I have a whole lot of TaeKwon Do friends who totally know what that's all about.

Whew! That was a long one! That one came to my mind easily because I think it's one of the weirdest things about me. Peter helped me with the rest of these.

2.The way I pronounce and enunciate words is kind of weird. I didn't think so until I met Peter. He told me that was one of the first things he was attracted to about me. He pointed out that I pronounce words very perfectly and really enunciate them. Examples : When some people say the word button they pronounce it butten. I pronounce it like butt-ten. The same with any word like it, for instance – mittens. I also say syrup like see-rup. See what I mean, weird.

3.I speak cat. No really. I can exactly mimic almost any cat's meows, purrs and other noises. I do it to our cat all the time and he talks back to me. I have no idea what we are talking about but we have long conversations. One time Peter and I were walking and a cat walked out in front of us. I gasped happily and meowed. Peter looked at me like I was nuts and I think he might have been right. It was a totally natural reaction for me to do that. Strange.

4.I laugh out loud at the strangest things. Peter always finds this to be so interesting. He is a big Simpsons fan. I would sit there and watch it with him and not laugh a single time. It's not that I didn't like it or think it was funny. I just don't laugh out loud at normal things. It always has to be something bizarre that no one else would laugh at. When I do laugh out loud at something Peter is always shocked “That made you laugh!?”. Two examples I can think of of the top of my head are

- The Simpsons 'Lord of the Flies' episode when Ralph eats some poisonous berries and says “Taste's like burning.” I laughed really hard.
- The Family Guy when Peter hurts himself and goes “SSSS..............AHHH!” for like five minutes. That was comedic genius.
The fact that this is one of my favorite comedy shows probably speaks to my sense of humor. These links are really AWESOME and you actually get to watch the sketches. I saw these guys live and Dave Foley (who was the voice of Flik in 'A Bug's Life' and is the host of Celebrity Poker Showdown (which I haven't watched) hugged me and kissed me on the cheek after I got his autograph! It was one of the best nights of my life!

5.I can pick out a song in a loud environment by only hearing a beat. I do this at work all the time. It will be totally loud with lots of talking, blow dryers going etc. I will say to my client “I love this song.” They'll look at me like I'm nuts and say “There's music playing?

6.I have a little OCD. Crazy things I do. The toothpaste has to be 'Colgate' facing upwards and cap towards the mirror, towels must be straight and even, after I have cleaned something for some time afterwards I will remove anything, including small specks of dust from it by hand. It must be said that although I have these compulsions I do not inflict them upon my husband, as in, “You must put the toothpaste down the proper way or feel my wrath.” It's more like if I'm in the bathroom and it's not 'right' I will turn it around. Peter caught me doing this once and looked at me incredulously. “Do you do that all the time?” I looked ashamed and admitted sheepishly “Yes.” “Wow! That's pretty crazy.” he remarked. I have to agree but it's not hurting anyone. So far. When it does, I'll go to therapy or something.

So those are simply six of the weird things about me. I know there are more. But it's embarrassing to admit it. I think these things may scare everyone away as it is. That's right everyone, I am a violent sheman with an odd way of speaking. I communicate with cats, have a twisted sense of humor and freakishly good hearing and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I just thought you should know what kind of person I am. Wow, when I put it all out there like that. I do seem pretty weird. Do you think there's any hope for my daughter to grow up a normal child? I'm hoping the people I tag will take some of the pressure off me. So here goes.

Snickers from Random Thoughts of a Tired Mom

The Big FUGR from Confessions Of A Small Town Rock Star

Ya'll are tagged!

9 comments:

GiBee said...

Okay ... number 6? Weird, but totally understandable. I'm OC about certain things, too... like where you SQUEEZE the tube of tooth paste.

Now, sorry to tell you, but I tagged you for yet another MEME!!! Yup! I just had a feeling in my heart that after puking your guts out, you were sitting at your computer, saying to yourself... "Gee ... why hasn't anyone tagged me with a really, REALLY long Meme? Doesn't anyone care about me?"

Well, because I care, I did.

Go to my blog and check out the questions. Its the last Meme -- the Meme of 4's -- the longest Meme on earth! Ugh!

Can't wait to read your answers and learn even MORE about you!

Dawnyel said...

That was great!! I can totally relate to some of those things...although the speaking cat was a new one for me! :)

bon said...

Ha!
I totally knew that y'all are a freak!

I don't fight... but I do know that after getting hit in the face a few times, and not freezing up when being attacked was kind of... well not NICE, but it is good to know that I can take a hit and react well... plus be pro-active in defensive moves. It's a good thing to know about yourself, a certain kind of confidence.

Mall Worker said...

I can relate to the tomboy part, so I really don't think that is too weird!

Rachelle said...

That was really fun to read! Really fun!

Lei said...

Hmmm...I have got to visit more often, lol! You're a hoot! ;)

Sugarmama said...

I thought #1 was most interesting of all. I have the sneaking suspicion that I, too, would be such a badass if called upon to do so. Actually, my extremely tough younger brother (born 2 years after me) has told me more than once that I taught him to fight. He says this because I used to beat the shit out of him when we were kids. I'm talking dirty, drawing blood kinds of fights here! My days of dominating him ended, though, when he turned 15, got suddenly bigger than me, and knocked me out cold during a fight. So, y'know, maybe I'm not THAT much of a badass after all...

(Oh, and PLEASE don't let my kids fight like that!)

Jenn said...

Mama Dojo,
You are not any more weird than I am. Except I don't think I could hold my own in a dark alley, but maybe..

Enunciating is a good thing. If you ever want to be a news caster, you will be set. You can forgo the usual formalities of hiring a vocal coach. SWEET! or in your case, SAHHHH-WHEET!

beth said...

Wow. I now want to go and learn Taekwon Do. I'm sold. Oh yeah, and back to this stalker thing - remember I am the one who is running around memorizing your profile.