Thursday, April 06, 2006

Meet Our New Babysitter

I may have changed my mind about the time change. Baby A is still sleeping and it's been 11 hours! If only it was a day when her dad didn't work so I wouldn't have woken up. I've been saying to him lately “If she would only sleep one more hour then I would feel rested.” I'm not sure that's true though. I feel perpetually tired now although I do get a good amount of sleep. I wonder how I will feel once I am no longer breastfeeding. That may help with the energy.

I am preparing for a Upstyles class I will be giving at work on the 8th of May. A coworker of mine flattered me by asking me to do it. She told me she thinks I do some of the nicest, most polished upstyles she has seen. Who me? Aww shucks. So on Sunday I brought a couple of mannequin heads up from storage in the basement. I figured I would do their hair up and use them for props at my class. Peter didn't know I was doing this, he was busy doing something else. So I'm sitting on the edge of the bathtub washing their hair and he comes into the bathroom. When he sees what I am doing he lets out a manly “Aaagh!” It freaked him out. He told me his brain registered that I was washing hair but he couldn't figure out who's hair (what's hair!) it would be and when he looked it scared him. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I kept playing tricks on him all day. Once both me and the mannequin head looked around the corner at him and when he saw 'her' he made the manly “Aaagh!” noise again and told me to quit it. More laughter from me.

The weird part is Audrey loves these mannequin heads. I showed one to her and she was fascinated. I started moving the head around and making it look at her, which sounds creepy, but she loved it. Her eyes would light up and she would giggle like crazy. I also found this so funny that it made me cry. Then I actually became a little jealous. She seemed to like this body-less, inanimate head more than either of her parents.



Then I thought I could be on to something. Meet our new babysitter. Mandy Quinn! She doesn't charge for her services, just don't expect her to keep your kids from getting into trouble or anything other than have a constant pleasant look on her face. If your kids are anything like Audrey they will be mesmerized by her blank stare until you come home.

11 comments:

Just MJ said...

You are so funny! I laughed out loud at this post. You're poor husband. As usual, Baby A is adorable.

Rachelle said...

LOL! This post was hilarious! I love the pic of the two heads peeking. Fun!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's kind of freaky! So hilarious though.

Lynanne said...

OMG how hilarious! The prankster in me keeps thinking of other ways you could freak out your poor hubby with her. :)

My daughter used to smile at any of her toys with faces. She had a particular fascination for this goggly-eyed toy on her bouncy seat. The way she'd smile at him was downright creepy. I wonder what she'd do with Mandy Quinn. LOL!!!

j.sterling said...

OMFG>.. LMFAO! i am cracking the fuck up

Mall Worker said...

That head freaks me out! That is hysterical, poor Peter!

Anonymous said...

I do not find any of this remotely amusing. A pox on all your houses.

Signed Hubby

bon said...

wAHAHAHAHAH!
and to you, poor Hubby, DOUBLE WAHAHAHAHAH! It's unkind of me but DANG that was stinkin' funny!

Just MJ said...

I love the comment "the hubby" left. ha. ha. ha. I can't stop laughing.

Dawnyel said...

Oh my GOSH!! That is hilarious!! I could just imagine the "manly" scream from your husband when he saw you washing the manequin's hair!

Jenn said...

Mama D-capitated,
THIS is hilarious!! It's funny to me what they find disturbing (a vacuum) and not so disturbing (a large lifelike fake head). Can't wait to see the new template!