Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Family Outing


The great thing about babies is that they are oblivious to problems any bigger than a wet or poopy diaper, being hungry or wanting to be cuddled. No matter how crappy you are feeling they are always there to provide you with a grin that almost washes all your troubles away. This is rather comforting to me right now and provides a nice distraction from my otherwise constant state of sadness. Unfortunately it seems to be something that I just have to 'wait out' for now. If I give it a bit more time I may be able to understand and not be bitter about this awful turn of events.

Again, sorry to be vague but until I know more and am in a better place I don't want to write about it. But I can't pretend it's not happening and that things are all fine and great. That would simply be a lie.



Last night was sort of a first for us. Peter came home from work very tired and I was not up to making anything for supper. Little A was due for a nap and I decided that once she was sleeping I would run and pick up some Wendy's. The flaw in my plan is that she decided she was not, in fact, going to have her nap. Fine. We decided to make it a family meal at the restaurant. Feeling like an awesome and super prepared mama I threw the remainder of a jar of carrots, a spoon, a bib and a couple of wipes in a ziploc bag and we were good to go. When we arrived I wiped down the highchair with a Antibacterial Wipe (paranoid?) and dad got her buckled in while I ordered our meal and a half a cup of hot water to warm the carrots up. Peter was oh so impressed with my mama skills when I popped that jar of carrots in the hot water. I acted nonchalant about it. What's the big deal? I just brought some baby food with us. It totally was a big deal. It was our first meal out with baby. I know it was just a fast food joint but this was a milestone for me. I have avoided eating out with her so far. It just didn't seem like it would be a good time, taking her out for supper. She appeared to love it. She watched the people come and go, liked seeing all the little kids around. She ate her carrots like a champ and she wasn't covered with them by the time we were done. I think our eating out budget may get a bit bigger again!





Afterwards we went grocery shopping which was pushing our luck. Shopping began with me pushing a cart and Peter pushing her in the stroller. Midway through the shopping I was still pushing the cart and Peter was carrying Baby A and pushing the stroller. She ended up back in the stroller by the end and then fell asleep on the way home. Like, not a little snooze. Hardcore, exhausted, opened her eyes for a second and then head drops back to my shoulder sleeping. Peter and I started to sing loudly and jump around to wake her up. It was still one hour till bed time and I wasn't going to mess around with that. Eventually she awoke from her coma, unimpressed. She hung out with dad on the bed in nothing but a diaper until I had the bath ready. I gave her punk rock hair in the bath and she splashed and had a great time. She lasted until the appropriate bed time and was cooperative and went to sleep. I was relieved that she was finally in bed and I could relax until the sadness swept over me again. I fell asleep with tears on my cheeks. Sigh.

Today is a new day. It's sunny and beautiful and I have to work, so that will distract me also. I wish I could just shut off my brain. Or at least the parts of it that worry and feel sad. Haven't they figured out some kind of brain botox yet? They can keep me from frowning but wouldn't it be better if they just injected it into the part of you that makes you frown in the first place. Get it at the source I say!

7 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad that the meal out with Baby A went well! I don't think its paranoid to wipe down the high chair with a wipe first. You don't know who or what's been on it. I cringe when I think of what could be living on it!

Jenn said...

Mama D-sanitize,
I love her pics. WHAT a dolly!!! I'm with snickers, wipe away. In fact, Im a germ phobe to the point where I got my own portable high chair that clipped on the table when on occasion we did eat out. (you then know how often it gets cleaned) I just googled it on Target.com and Walmart.com and both have one for $20...they are SOO nice to have folded waiting in the trunk just in case.

Sugarmama said...

Your baby is just gorgeous! I don't know what's got you so down, but hopefully revelling in your darling daughter makes you feel better. I think there's nothing like a loving little sweetie to help cheer up a mama and help maintain a little perspective.

Dawnyel said...

A family outing...no matter how small...is a nice thing to help keep your mind on better things! I hope you start feeling better soon!

GiBee said...

oooohhhh -- I can help here ... My inlaws gave Hunter for Christmas a gift that Momma loves the mostest!!! It's a Fisher Price Highchair cover -- under $10 at Wal Mart. I'm so like you -- hate to think of the germies ... and if I didn't have this cover, I'd be spraying clorox all over the chairs to wipe it down ... so no ... you are not at all paranoid just loving and concerned!!

beth said...

Oh, she is so beautiful! I am really sorry to hear you are so sad. You've been cheering me up so much, it is hard to find out you are troubled. I hope this situation, whatever it is, is improving.

I've loved your comments (not stalker at all. Awesome. You are reading stuff I was sure only my mom would see). Only problem is I always want to comment back to you and realize you'd never see it since the post is from so long ago. I do want to tell you that I would be Well Endowed Girl's number one customer. Can I go ahead and apply for a charge card?

I was surprised at our first dinner out with Sam too. I'd expected it to be completely not worth the effort but he liked watching everyone and it ended up being fun. Of course we ate our dinners in like 3 minutes to avoid a potential meltdown. It was short and sweet. They still are short and sweet. And we still only go to places well before anyone else shows up.

Nicole said...

Sorry to hear you're going through something, but I think the day (night) was a good one anyway! ELi is the same when we take him 'out on the town'. Even if (WHEN) he skips a nap, the commotion of a restaruant is usually enough to entertain him. Gotta love the naivite of babies!