Saturday, April 15, 2006

Are You Lookin' At Me?

Last week I found a paper in my mailbox. It had an adorable baby in the foreground and a smiling mom out of focus in the distance. In large print it said “How long can you use the 'I just had a baby excuse?'” Excuse me? Oh, no you didn't I thought. I read on. “Time's up! Want to shed those stubborn pounds and get back to your pre-pregnancy shape?” and it went on to tell me about a revolutionary weight-loss program yada yada.

At first I thought, someone has deliberately put this in my mailbox. I mean, it couldn't just be a coincidence that I had a baby seven months ago and it randomly found it's way to my mailbox. Someone named Wanda has been spying on me and wants to sell me revolutionary weight-loss stuff. She's been watching me going out for walks with baby A and has been thinking “Her butt is still way too big, I better put a flyer in her mailbox.” I became paranoid, self conscious and depressed.

I showed it to Peter and he was insulted on my behalf. I told him I thought someone was spying on me. Since the flyer had the distributors name and phone number on it he did a little spying himself. He typed her name into the Canada 411 reverse phone number search. She lives about 10 blocks away. I was relieved that she didn't live on my street. I decided it must have been random but since she also had her email on the flyer I emailed her also. *'s represent actual names I edited out for privacy.

Miracle Cure Distributor,

I received the * miracle cure * flyer in my mailbox. I was wondering if you delivered them randomly or if you knew somehow that I had a baby seven months ago. This seemed a strange coincidence.

I'm sorry, but I am not interested in starting * miracle cure *. I tried * miracle cure * before and it did not work for me. I was disappointed because it was expensive and I really wanted to see results.

I am not carrying extra weight since my pregnancy and am presently content with my current size.

Looking forward to your reply,
* Mama D


So, we'll see what kind of response I get.

I feel a bit bad because my friend sells this stuff. I did try it a few years ago and although it worked wonders for her it didn't do a thing for moi. C'est la vie. I'm over it. I only gained 20 lbs during my pregnancy and afterwards I ended up 10 lbs lighter than before I got pregnant. That's like, the only time in my life that that has happened. Barfing a minimum of two times a day for four and half months will do it to you EVERY TIME! I think I may have preferred feeling better and gaining a few more pounds but oh well. Maybe next time.

Now, if there was a miracle cure for my saggy tummy, stretch marks and stitched up Va-J-J (besides plastic surgery) then I'd say “Bring it!”

P.S. Update at The Mama D Experiment

8 comments:

Dawnyel said...

That's a freaky coincidence...if it is a coincidence! I think somehow they get a list of people who just had babies from the hospital and send out stuff that has to do with new babies. After I had my son a cosmetic salesperson called me and offered me a free, post-baby makeover...and I'd never heard of her before that time. It was weird, but I think they have their sources!

Blackeyedsue said...

I wish there was a miracle cure. My baby will be two in May. What is my excuse other than I love cookies and hate exercise. I NEED A MAGIC PILL!!!

Your blog is darling. You have a great sense of humor.

Mall Worker said...

I would have been livid if I found that in my mail box. That just is totally insulting!

I'm almost hoping to get one too, so I can call them up and give them a piece of my mind!

Rachelle said...

Must share the reply if you get one. Just what you need - something to make you feel awful after having a baby! Like the stretch marks aren't enough by themselves. Ah the fun of post baby bodies.

bon said...

Eeesh! They could totally send me a flyer... except all it would do is send me a) off the deep-end crazy pissed off or b) crying my eyes out for three hours.

Just depends on the day.

bon said...

tagged ya!

Lei said...

A local radio station was talking about this the other morning... they seemed to think it was definitely a mass marketing scheme masked to look "personal". I sure hope so, because it would really hurt my feelings to receive that in my mailbox and know that the sender was so closeby!

GiBee said...

Sounds like throwing up was a miracle ... how about trying bulimia???

I'm KIDDING... sheesh!