Thursday, April 13, 2006

That's It. We're Potty Training

Disclaimer: If you are disturbed by the mention of the words – poop, pooper, or poo and talk of such things in great detail, please don't read the following.

I'm just kidding really. I'm not going to be one of those people who tries to infant potty train. I mean, who has the time to “Study your baby’s elimination timing and patterns”? I certainly don't. But the reason I bring it up is because there have been some new disturbing developements regarding Baby A's BM's.

You see, Audrey has never been much of a pooper. I've written about this before. When she was first born she went through the poop progression. Then because she wasn't eating a lot she became a little constipated. We left the hospital waiting for the next poo. When it finally came Peter and I celebrated by doing the poo dance. For several months she was a poop once a week girl. It was a little disconcerting. I really had to think about how long it had been since she'd had her last poop. An interesting problem that arose with this lack of bowel movements was that our diaper genie which is supposed to keep the poo smell contained – started to smell rank. We finally deduced that if she was going several times a day as most babies seem to, we would have had to replace the bags already. The diaper genie is good, but it can't contain the fowl odor of two month old dirty diapers. When we opened that canister we unleashed the most evil smell on the world. We snipped the bag, tied it up and tossed the sausage linked diapers into a toxic waste container to be disposed of properly.

In the following months her BM's became a little more frequent and we found this to be a relief. No more worrying about how long it had been since the last one. Our little girl was becoming regular. Hurray! When we began feeding her cereal I was prepared for the 'new poop'. I had heard about it. It would be bigger, better and more stinky. I was happy to find it wasn't as bad as I had expected. A bit more smelly, more of it, but still manageable. And yes, I realize we have been very blessed.

Then this week we started vegetables. Dear me. The vegetable poops. They are big. And they smell very bad. There is a reason I don't work in a nursing home. I couldn't deal with the diaper changing that must be done. These new poops seem so grown up. Up until now I had prided myself on my lack of disgust when it came to these matters. When you have a cat you have cleaned up all kinds of nasty messes. But these new poops take the cake. Should I mention poops and cake in the same sentence? Too late. Diana I salute you. You have a much stronger stomach than I.

After doing a little skimming of this article I may actually consider it. But probably not. Now that I have ruined all of your appetites, enjoy your day!

9 comments:

Dawnyel said...

Are you certain you're ready for potty training!? LOL I'm sorry to laugh at your misery, but I have had my share of stinky things! Welcome to the club! What club? Being disgusted by your child club! :D

GiBee said...

Oh, yeah ... and it doesn't get any better!

Hunters pediatrician put him on solid foods at 4 months old. He was eating veggies and fruit and cereal and his poos were NASTY.

Now (6 months old) he eats stage 2 veggies, fruits, cereal and MEATS ... OH MY HEAVENS ... that's when it got WORSE!

We have now reached TWO nasty adult poos per day.

Fun times!

Anonymous said...

Right now I am happy the poop is still Formula Yellow...cannot wait for solidss ick!!

Diana Mancuso said...

You know, I've always been curious about infant potty training. It's great, in theory. I just don't think I'd enjoy it much. Mind you, I often have to deal with messy clothes anyway so I might as well deal with it for a purpose. After skimming what you've skimmed, I might look into it in further detail myself. After Maddie gets back into her routine, that is. She's been feverish for two days so the routine is temporarily out the window.

PS: You buy Earth's Best baby food? Cool. So do we. Doncha just love organic?

bon said...

hey! Yeah, I've got me a "minimal poop" girl this time around. After the phenomenal, diaper busting regularity of my first two, I am sorta creeped out by the irregularity and general lack of the "poop up to the shoulder blades" poops.

trust me though.... I ain't complaining!

Sugarmama said...

You haven't ruined MY appetite. And just to warn you? Blueberry poops are the all-time most foul EVER. I'm just sayin'. In case your daughter ever develops the fresh blueberry fixation that mine once did.

Nettie said...

Just wait till you get a crayon poop. Nothing like a bright green or purple poopy to add a little color to your day! BTW, fun blog!oqrclagn

Nettie said...

Oh, so that's why my word verification didn't work. I added it to my post! Silly me...

Lynanne said...

Dont forget whole kernal corn poo. There is something disturbing about having it come out exactly like it went in!