Thursday, April 06, 2006

Computers, Bah!

I'm going to admit this right here and now. I am not very good with computers. I like computers. I like what they can do. I like writing this blog. I visit many blogs and drool over them and think they look amazing and dream of having a blog that looks so cool! I think about doing something cool. I study the template. Hey, I figured out how to put in my own links a while ago. Which by the way I just updated. It just scares me a little. Okay, a lot.

It's funny because I am rather inundated with technology. This is because my husband is a computer technician. Let me see if I can provide you with some examples. Our main T.V./DVD player is our computer. We run a program called MYTH TV which is kinda like TiVo, which is like, SO cool you know. All the celebrities have it. So that means I'm cool or something. Yeah. Before you ask Myth TV is only available (that I know of, but hey this post is all about what I don't know, so what do I know?) if you use a Linux operating system.

Mama D: Are you with me?

Everyone: No!

Mama D: Okay then let's continue!

Now, since my husband reads this blog (mostly) I have to tread carefully. After all this post is about me and how I don't really know what I am doing in regards to our computer. You see the frustrating part is that I am entirely at his mercy when things don't work. When Myth TV won't work, I don't know why or how to fix it. When we're out of disc space I don't know what to do. I consider myself to be competent with most things as well as self sufficient. As far as our computer goes, I am far, far from it.

I guess I'm expecting a lot from myself. Everyone has their talents, skills and hobbies. Computer programming/repair/troubleshooting just isn't something I'm good at. As long as everything works I'm all good. I could hire someone to make my blog look fancy, but it would be similar to having someone come and landscape my yard. There would be no satisfaction in it. If my blog looks cool I want it to be because I learned how to make it look cool! I wouldn't mind a little help, or some tips. I may be asking a friend to give me gardening tips this year. I can still respect myself for doing that.

At this time I'd like to give a shout out to those of you who are readers of this (Standard Template) blog. As I mentioned before, I've added links to my sidebar as this is not outside the realm of my knowledge (I've just been lazy). I have to say how much I appreciate being linked by others because, I admit it, I want to be read. These are my new links and a brief description of each.

This Single Spark - A personal friend of mine as well as a fabulous person and writer.
Random Thoughts of a Tired Mom - Also a friend and partner in new motherhood.
Taking the Road Less Traveled - Someone I've read for a long time and regular commenter here. I feel blessed to receive her thoughts and opinions on anything at all.
Owlhaven - An inspiration to all mothers and all around amazing woman.
Toronto Teacher Mom - A homegirl from my very own country. Fellow new mama.
Kisses of Sunshine - A woman of incredible faith and optimism.
Tales of a Rubbaundiesluva - The name of her blog has always had me guessing. Is it kinky or does it have something to do with disposable diapers? Anyway, a great girl!

So there you have it. I am nearly computer illiterate but I soldier on because I love to blog. If I keep doing it some knowledge will rub off on me eventually right?

P.S. I took this photo of myself. Are you impressed?

6 comments:

Dawnyel said...

LOL! You're so cute! I know that I'm computer illiterate too, but I don't have ANYONE who can help me...so when something goes wrong I'm all on my own! There are times when I wanna pull all of my hair out and scream at the computer to stop being so STOOPID! But unfortunately I realize it's mostly ME!

Diana Mancuso said...

Thanks for the shout out, girl! I love your blog and I appreciate all your comments, too. Merci beaucoup!

Lynanne said...

Awww, *blush* thanks for the compliment! Your blug is one of the first I read when I find a quiet minute. I so admire you!

Isn't it a trip when our husbands read our blog? I guess it keeps down on the male bashing. :)

Mall Worker said...

Thanks for the plug! :)

If you ever need a hand with a computer problem, call me. I don't know things like our hubbies know them, but I know a few things and can explain it like a computer techie!

Just MJ said...

I'm impressed you figured out how to add links on your own. Everytime I look at the template, my eyes cross and my brain misfires. :)

GiBee said...

OH MY WORD! you give me toooooooooo much credit. (were there enough o's in to?)

I drool over cool blogs to, but I can't figure my own template out. Sad, huh? I really want a custom template... but sadly that day will never come! (from my own brain, that is...)