Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Worn Out, Worn Down and just plain worn...

I don't think I've complained for a while. So I'm due for a good rant.

I am tired. So tired that I'm sick. You know when you sort of get a cold from sheer exhaustion? That's what I have. My nose is runny and I've been fighting off a headache all day.

This fatigue is the result of several nights of poor or just plain rotten amounts of sleep. I have chosen to believe that Miss A is teething. She has cut both of her first molars on the top despite the fact that there is no sign of her top cuspid (fang) teeth or anything on the bottom other than the two central incisors that she's had for months now. This chart tells you approximately when all of their baby teeth are supposed to come in. As you can see A does not follow this chart in the slightest possible way. The only reason I care is because the fact that her teeth are coming in all willy nilly means I had NO FLIPPIN' CLUE what teeth she might be cutting. Knowing might help to explain her crankiness and help me to respond accordingly. At the moment I'm assuming she's cutting both her top and bottom molars. Why? Because I can't imagine her being more irritable and miserable than this.

It seems to be affecting her appetite hugely. The kid who normally eats everything and anything can't even tolerate the old stand by foods that she'll ALWAYS eat. Actually, I think her appetite is fine it is the fact that eating hurts that causes her to eat less. Last night at supper I made one of her favorite meals. She ate an adequate amount but then when I gave her yogurt which is always well received she actually threw it on the floor when I wasn't looking. When I asked her “Did you throw your yogurt on the floor?” she replied “No.” I then tried some ice cream thinking it would feel nice and cold on her sore mouth. This should have been a huge hit. After a few mouthfuls she refused this as well. If the kid won't eat ice cream then there is definitely something wrong!

The worst thing of all is that due to my lack of sleep I also lack patience. She is more needy and demanding and I am less equipped to deal with her behavior. Doesn't parenting sometimes seem like the cruelest joke is being played on you? Like – Although you are totally unable to deal with the slightest thing, such as spilling a tiny bit of cream on the counter without bursting into tears, you have this toddler who is completely unreasonable and inconsolable to look after. I almost start laughing sometimes because I can't believe how ridiculous things can be. Those are the times when I feel like I must really be going crazy.

Anyway, I am crossing my fingers for a good nights sleep tonight. Which will also make this fatigue sickness thing disappear and turn me into a perfectly patient, happy, wonderful mama by tomorrow. Yup. That's gonna happen.

9 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I can so relate to this. Boo has 4 molars and 4 fangs come in all at once. No one got any sleep here and everyone was beyond cranky. Its so hard for them. The good news is that when they finally break through, it doesn't bug them anymore. At least it didn't bug my little guy anymore. I hope it gets better soon.

about plantain: said...

Wee Snapper has just popped 5 teeth in the last week... that chart bears no resemblance time wise to his teeth... the other day he drew blood while nursing... he falls asleep and doesn't realise he's chomping down.... yeeeeeooowch.
btw... I think my favourite thing is asking "did you just throw your (insert item here) on the floor"... and they look down at the thing on the floor then at you... and shake their head no....

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry you're feeling rotten. The great thing about moms is we can always relate! Sleep. Or lack there of. Same. Teething. Same. Not sure which teeth. Same. Lack of patience. Same.

You know sleep is bad when getting two three hour stretches is something to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

OMG, right there with you. Yesterday, I was ready to give the kiddo away free to a good home, what with all the screa-he-heeeeeeeeeming going on (in our case because Missy thinks naps are optional for 23-month-olds). Pair that with my cat-anxiety-related sleep-deprivation, and Wheee: Parent highlight reel at 11.
Crossing my fingers for you and me to get some sleep tonight.

bon said...

Bleah!

No really! BLEAH! Because you really never DO know what's going on and you can only HOPE that it's the teeth that are causing the problems, 'cuz what if this HELL is the new norm? Trust me,it's never the new norm... it'll get better.

Jenn said...

I can also relate. Lucas is going through something similar. But nothing seems to be breaking through. Lucas does not yet have his eye teeth but I think they are moving around in there, which causes his waking at night.

Good luck to you and Miss A

Jenn

Dawnyel said...

Dang, teething is HARD! *Hugs to mama* I know what it's like to have an unconsolable child, but wanting MAMA time too!
Once they come in tho, she should be good as new....SHOULD be!

Sugarmama said...

I hope it does happen for you. I was in exactly the same place last week--so exhausted there was no chance in hell of my being the nice, patient mama I should be. Sleep deprivation is absolutley brutal.

alt&rockin'4ever said...

I hope A is feeling better now, or at least that you've gotten some sleep. I agree that things seem to be lined up as a cruel joke on us mamas -I always marvel at how just when I think I've figured something out with my A, things change! And sometimes drastically. Agh!
Hugs and good luck to you.