Monday, July 30, 2007

First Haircut

Because I'm a hairstylist I admit to being a bit crazy about A's hair. I mean, I was thrilled when I saw her for the very first time and she had a head full of dark hair. I was in denial when it began falling out and ever since then I've pretty much been waiting for it to grow. But it's a slow process. I have watched it grow a bit and get really curly, which I love. I have watched the back get longer and longer and her hairstyle look more and more like a mullet. I have been waiting for the opportunity to give her a real haircut, but there seemed to be nothing to cut.

Lately the long part in the back had started to become annoying. It was getting in the way of zippers and tying her bib up. I decided it was time. Time for the first haircut. Before her bath I buckled her into her booster, sat her in front of 'Elmo's World' and got to work. She was totally oblivious to my spraying water on her head, combing and cutting. So much better than I thought she'd be. I think all toddlers should have their hair cut while watching 'Elmo's World'.

I basically cut off all the long straggly hairs that weren't uniform with the rest. And I cut off about an inch of the long stuff in the back. The end result was a cute little afro pixie cut. This morning when she woke up it had straightened out a lot and I thought she looked a bit boyish and I was having regrets. But after spraying it with some water again and looking at her all day I really like it. I'm hoping now that it is even it will grow even better and more quickly. But I really have my doubts that I'll have to cut it again any time soon. Perhaps before she graduates from highschool...




8 comments:

bonrhe said...

Cutie-patootie! And I love your wedding rings!

I just wish you were here to figure out what to do with Pearl's look. I call it "comb over and a mullet."

Sugarmama said...

It's very cute. And you can totally tell that she's zoned out in front of something on the tv--ha!

My littlest has similar hair to A's, I think, but it's curly and long on the sides, too. All I've done so far is give her a mama-cut to her bangs to keep them out of her eyes. I LOVE her curls.

shoeaddict said...

What a gorgeous profile!

Dawnyel said...

At least you knew how to do it...that's what the rest of us DON'T have!!
I'm glad that she didn't lose the curls tho!! :D

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I think it's cute! And props to you for cutting your kid's hair. We have a stylist who does a great job with Eliza, so I can tell from watching her that it takes some serious skill to do a little one's hair.

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynanne said...

Those curls! So adorable! My daughter inherited my paintbrush straight hair. I'll have to try the Elmo trick when my mom cuts E's hair. Usually she screams like we're torturing her (E screams, not my mom LOL).

Jenn said...

Definitely not boy-ish. She's so cute! I just can not say it enough.