Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Swallowed

Thanks to Bon and also to Elizasmom for loving the book 'Twilight' and telling me about it. I purchased it last Wednesday and finished it yesterday. It is approximately 500 pages. I'm not sure if I have ever read a book so fast and certainly not since having Miss A. I always used the excuse that I “didn't have time”. Obviously I can find time if the right book comes along.

And did it ever. I have an extremely obsessive personality. When something grabs a hold of me the way things sometimes do it becomes difficult for me to think about anything else. This was exaggerated most between the years of 15 and 19. The things that I loved possessed me. I wanted everyone I knew to love them just as much and I talked about them endlessly. Looking back it's a wonder I had any friends.

I was fanatical about The Cure. I wore a gold band on my wedding finger and a single gold sleeper in my left ear... because that is the jewelry that Robert Smith wore. (I know, pathetic...) At least I didn't wear my hair the same! I was also in love with the show “Life Goes On”. Especially the Jesse and Becca storyline. It killed me. On a lighter note I was also obsessed with “The Kids in the Hall”. When I was 18 I had the opportunity to see them perform live. I very nearly hyperventilated when we first went to our seats, which were very close to the stage. Then when my favorite troupe member Dave Foley said his first line I involuntarily screamed “I LOVE YOU!!!” at him. I was immediately mortified. They all paused and Dave seemed to be blushing. Then after only missing a beat they incorporated my statement into the poker sketch. “Well I DON'T love you and I raise you $5.”

In my young adult years most of my obsessiveness was directed at television shows. A short list would be X-Files, Dark Angel, Buffy, Angel and Roswell. They all contained the draw of a forbidden love. I guess that is what sucks me in, I find it irresistible. And this leads me back to the book 'Twilight'. This book is so full of forbidden love it made my head spin, gave me goosebumps and kept me reading until all hours. It was delicious and I devoured it. And I'm already reading the sequel. Which had me in tears for about an hour last night. Silently weeping beside my sleeping husband. Stifling sobs. But it is wonderful. Wonderful to feel this part of me come alive again. It reminds me of who I am.

I'm not all about “Old MacDonald had a Farm”, Elmo, and poopy diapers. Though that is a huge part of who I am right now. I also still possess the ability to obsess over fictional characters to a degree that frightens me, frankly. It makes me question how solid my sanity is. How can a nearly 31 year old woman feel this strongly about people that only exist on the pages of a book? But a movie is in the works as well. Lord help me!

7 comments:

mamashine said...

I'll have to get this book, I think. :)

I'm that way with all of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I am in love with those books and all those people.

Mall Worker said...

I get like that sometimes. I get into something and I can't get it out of my head. Books, video games, tv shows, you name it!

shoeaddict said...

I'm obsessive, too.

Jenn said...

Oh my, you always make me laugh! "I LOVE YOU" made me burst out laughing, I could just picture you being all mortified.
And I love that you have a category called Why We Are Weird.

Anonymous said...

Shameful confession time: I used to have a favorite toothpaste. Colgate, because it was allegedly the brand preferred by Simon LeBon. I moved on to other bands, and TV-wise, I logged some hard-core X-Files and Buffy time myself. As in, don't talk during the show or you will NEVER be invited back to watch with me. Which is to say, I know COMPLETELY what you are getting at, and I actually quite enjoy being able to get wrapped up in something like that.

bon said...

Ahhhhhh! Glad to have you along for the ride: sweet obsession.

Seriously, I think that my passionate reaction to this series of books is the reason behind my sudden round of retrospective posts.

Anonymous said...

Your kids in the hall story made me laugh out loud too. So loud it echoed. Also, Tammy just got me to watch "ATM is a robot" on You Tube. I was so impressed. :-)