Monday, November 05, 2007

You Can't Win 'em All

For those of you who remembered I entered a short story writing contest, the results winner was posted in yesterdays paper. It wasn't me. Apparently stories about elderly women in personal care homes is more interesting than a good old fashioned love story. Not that I'm bitter. Well, maybe a little. But I honestly was expecting anything. Only hoping for the best. So many thanks to AM and Bon for helping me out so much.

There were two runners up stories in todays community newspaper. I have to say I liked them better than the winner. But sadly I didn't really enjoy any of them much. I was expecting to really have my socks knocked off by the winner(s). Not so. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I guess when I think about it, there are a lot of books out there that wouldn't be my cup of tea. But they still got published. Just like not everyone would agree with me that this was one of the best books ever written.

The people who put together the contest have also planned a festival for next weekend. There will be some authors leading discussions, doing readings and lectures. There will even be a discussion on blogging! Unfortunately I will miss a great deal of it due to work but I think I will attend at least some of it. I'm glad something like this is happening in my community. Hopefully it will get more people excited about reading and writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! And though you didn't win, I like the story and I think you should feel proud of having the guts and follow-through to actually write something and enter it! The festival sounds way cool. I hope you get to go!

Lynanne said...

Awww, sorry to hear that you didn't win. It makes you wonder who the judges were. Don't let it discourage you. You certainly have talent!